Tuesday, March 6, 2007

"WHY CAN'T WE VACCINATE FOR THIS?!""

“Is any among you afflicted?...” (from James 5:13)

On Sunday, my 23-year-old son Jon was really sick with intestinal pain.  He is our main singer/worship leader for the “Praise & Worship” part of the service.  He got through it by the grace of God, but he had a tough time.  He was in much pain and very fatigued.

I actually had minor intestinal pain and diarrhea on Friday and Saturday and minor intestinal pain on Sunday.  I don’t know if I gave it to him, if he gave it to me, or we both got it elsewhere.  Yesterday morning, I woke up with what he’d had on Sunday, only not QUITE as bad.  I had moderate intestinal pain 2 or 3 times as intense as I’d had over the weekend.  The worst part was getting up from a sitting down position and the second worst was just walking.  The pain would come and go.  Sometimes the pain was a 1 or a 2 and sometimes it would actually be an 8 or a 9 (for just a minute or so).  I had a lot more sympathy for what Jon had gone through on Sunday.  On Monday he described himself as 90% better, so I assume that by midday on Tuesday I’ll be pretty well “fit as a fiddle”.

I’m like most men when I’m sick- A BIG BABY.  I get a lot of “little” colds and sinus issues and I get a minor headache here and there, but as far as getting REALLY sick, it hardly ever happens.  When it does, I want to call out the Surgeon General of the United States or something!  Well, I actually DID go to work on Monday.  If Jon could lead “Praise & Worship” on Sunday, I certainly COULD go to the office on Monday.  I DID get a fair amount of work done.  I just had to drag myself through the day.

I know we hear about all kinds of vaccinations like the H.P.V. vaccine for women.  Sometimes I wonder, why in 2007 we still get intestinal “bugs” like this?  The Bible does say in the last days there will be “pestilence’ which can INCLUDE sicknesses and new diseases.  I’d just like to never be sick again!  Well, that’s the big baby in me talking!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ew. thanks for describing that...

sorry you guys were sick, hope i don't get it... but, yeah, you guys are kinda babies when you get sick...

what's HPV? hopefully one day there will be vaccines for everything... but everyone gets sick now and then... though, actually, i haven't gotten sick this winter... usually i do... hope i don't! knock on wood!