Saturday, August 9, 2008

HOW I DID

“...the labourer is worthy of his hire..." (from Luke 10:7)

Some of you may wonder how I did at my sister Dianne’s Canton Yard Sale today.
The answer is:  I did very well!  I sold a lot of inspection stickers and a lot of license plates.  I made a very good financial haul, and I am pleased with that.

The one thing that’s very difficult about these things is a couple of guys came who were very greedy and had very bad attitudes.  (I’m happy to say a number of people came who were pleasant and had good attitudes.  There was a plumber named Kevin O’Keefe from Norfolk- SUPER nice guy!  If I lived in the Norfolk/Walpole/Franklin area and needed a  plumber he is the man I would call!)  But as far as the “jerks” and they were “jerks”:  one began yelling at others at the table and at me.  He ended up angrily leaving after buying just a couple of items.  He wanted what everyone else had and did not want to share the opportunity with others.  I guess this is a lesson he never learned in the sandbox in Kindergarten!  Another really wanted a 1955 inspection sticker.  In my advertising I had specifically said I wasn’t going to sell 1955-1958 stickers today.  I do have a FEW of these stickers that I’m keeping for MY OWN COLLECTION.  This guy WHINED so much about a 1955 sticker that I sold him the ONE I had with me for $5.  He then whined that I’d advertised selling stickers for $3 apiece but sold the ’55 for $5.  (I sold it for $5 because it was NOT one of those advertised as being “on special” and in fact was not supposed to be sold at all!)  I then offered him a bunch of other stuff CHEAP,and he REFUSED.   The thing that does sadden me is that so many guys (and there are a few gals) who are into the automotive collectibles hobby are SO greedy and mean-spirited.  I’ve seen that over and over again.  It DID feel good to make the money that I made today, but I almost felt like I’d prostituted myself.  On the way home I wondered, “Is this really worth it?”  Yet, I do want to be a good steward of these valuable collectibles that I have inherited.  I have been able to use the proceeds to buy the basic necessities of life (GAS for instance) without feeling strapped all the time.  On the way home I stopped at a CVS and bought some stuff like razor blades and shaving cream that I needed, and it was nice to pick out good quality stuff and not worry about what it cost.  It was even nice to be able to donate to a local food pantry at the checkout instead of having to say, “sorry no” because I was down to my last few dollars.

So it was a good day....I guess....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you did well at the yard sale. did rach go with you this time?

Anonymous said...

Amy,

Due to other commitments Rachel was unable to attend this year.

Anonymous said...

Bob,
God does not look for pergection in His people.
God looks for good attitudes.
David was less than an ideal church member yet he was a man after God's
own heart. Saul would be accepted as a great church member,
yet God rejected him for stubborn rebellion.
It is all about attitudes. We forget words can be dangerous tools to hurt us.
We must guard our words.
You have been tired and discouraged anyway, now more negative.
This is a test, this is only a test ...
Learn and go on ---
learn to say I am wrong --- I am sorry...
Tiredness makes a coward out of a hero.
Mentally tired is one battle, but  spiritually tired can be a killer.
It is OK little brother.
I just wrote a sermon not proofed yet : IS SUCCESS SUCCESS?
yOU CAN FIND IT LATER TODAY ON SERMONCENTRAL.COM
IN MY WORK --- Wade Hughes...
I have woren my foot in my mouth on many occassions...
I try not to make light of it, I try to confess and repent.
Many were talking about Saul's stupidity, David steps up and says:
DON'T MENTION THIS IN GATH... Something are left better unsaid...
Some think gossip means not truth, gossip are things that should not be repeated.
Press on! learn...