Thursday, October 6, 2011

STEVE JOBS SAID, "DON'T SETTLE"

"Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents.
And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two.
But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money." (Matthew 25:16-18)

I never met Steve Jobs, nor did I ever see him in person. I WILL say, however, that he has touched my life. MOST of the computers I have used in life have been made by Apple, and (although they're more expensive) I agree with my friend D.K. and my son Jon and daughter Rachel that there's NO COMPUTER as good as an APPLE COMPUTER!

I did not realize until today that Steve Jobs was adopted. I also did not know that his biological father was a Syrian Arab Muslim. And I ALSO don't think I had heard or read this famous quote of Steve Jobs until today:

“You’ve got to find what you love. And that is as true for your work as it is for your lovers. Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don’t settle.”
Steve Jobs

Some people will absolutely not understand what I'm going to write here, but I suspect my much younger friend Ryan Seler WILL. I have been through what an old friend of mine used to call "deep water" over the past few years. I have experienced loss, shock, and deep shame and deep rejection. Listen, it can do a number on you! I know sometimes we have to work at "whatever our hands find to to" to pay the bills, etc., which is why Ryan the outstanding musician and worship leader is right now employed at Marshalls'. AND it's why I'm employed at the answering service. But TODAY after reading Steve Jobs' quote, well, I'm starting to feel like the guy who buried his talent. (For my son Jon, yeah I know, a lot about that parable is taken out of context but "work with me here"!)

We evangelicals and we Pentecostals have got the flawed notion that if someone is not totally perfect they just cannot minister effectively. I realize there have to be standards. I realize you just can't let some child molester have a children's ministry, for instance. And, you can't let some guy who stole all the money from a church treasury pastor a church. I get that.

But, there's a tremendous lesson in the fictional film "The Apostle" starring Robert Duval. Most Christians that I know either LOVE that film or they HATE it. Almost none are neutral. I happen to love it. YES, in that film Duval plays a preacher who commits second degree murder and who sometimes takes a nip of whiskey. He flees from the law. YES, that's wrong. But he prays for God to let him do just one more great work for Him, and God honors that. He reopens a failed church in a small Louisiana town, and is used of God to motivate the church's sickly retired preacher and to win to Christ a number of souls in the community. He THEN is arrested and literally begins a long prison ministry.

I have done nothing worthy of losing my Assemblies of God credentials, and in fact I am still an Ordained AG minister. Yet, I know some look disparagingly at me and won't touch me with the proverbial ten foot pole! I was a lot more bold to ask for speaking engagements back in 2010. This year, I've been very shy about it, fearing I won't be wanted or I won't be taken seriously. I will say I did speak for a friend who was away on a missions trip for two weeks, last month. These were NOT paid engagements, but the pay was knowing my preaching truly blessed and helped people.

I am well aware I may never pastor a church again. Contrary to rumors, I am NOT looking to pastor a church nor trying to get any pastorates. But God HAS given me a special gift. Yes, God has given eccentric, nervous, unconventional Bob Baril a very special gift. I am a captivating speaker, AND I have the ability to preach and teach on some VERY sensitive subjects in a way that has people laughing and crying, and totally engaged, and that THEY'LL NEVER FORGET WHAT THEY HEARD.

Some don't feel I'm worthy to be speaking in public, but let's let God be the judge of that. I can give you names of pastors who've had me minister in their pulpits, and who will give me very good references. I don't want to bury this talent. And, sure, I love to get love offerings and honoraria, but I also do speak for no money whatsoever as I did last month. If you'd like to know more, please contact me at
revrbaril@aol.com

1 comment:

clotrip said...

Part of your talent is being able to allow people to question. I am not an evangelical Christian, in fact I am unchurched. This may make me unworthy of an opinion in some eyes but I do believe in a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and because it is personal it won't be just like anyone else's relationship. You have a talent to help people explore that relationship without condemning it.
Jesus said it is more important to search for the lost sheep, for those who are happily found and believe they have the only true and correct relationship with Christ let them be self righteous and praise each other for their wisdom in their church.
Those are not the souls that need to be reached. May you be blessed to continue to find venues to reach the lost who need to work on their relationships.