Monday, April 16, 2012

"WHAT HOLIDAY IS IT?!"

"One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind." (Romans 14:5)

I must admit it rankles me when it's Patriots Day and people ask, "What holiday is it?!"
Here is what I want to say to them:

This is PATRIOTS DAY. It's a holiday only in Maine and Massachusetts. Perhaps it should be a holiday for the whole country. Today, we remember the start of the American Revolution in April of 1775, when a group of simple farmers from Concord and Lexington, Massachusetts took on the British Empire. As you know, the rest is history!

Each Patriots Day the Boston Marathon is run. That's been true for over one hundred years. THAT'S what holiday this is!

1 comment:

Pete from Colo Spgs said...

"Twas the eighteenth of April in '75. . ." Also my daughter Jennie's birthday. I used to recite that poem to her when she was little. IMHO they shouldn't have made it a Monday holiday.