Sunday, March 8, 2020

JANIS C. AND JENNIE M. AND THE VIRUS SCARE

"...I am the Lord that healeth thee."  (from Exodus 15:16)

I spent several days this past week being quite depressed- well, to be more accurate, I was a mixture of exasperated, stunned, discouraged, surprised, and deeply saddened.  I guess it's understandable that if you mix all five of those "ingredients" together, you'll get one outcome:  depressed!  My depression was about the coronavirus.  (I am not even sure if I spelled the name of the virus correctly!)  Please don't misunderstand me.  It's not that I was so fearful I would become sick from this virus that I became depressed.  Rather, it's that so many people around the world are so obsessed over the news of this virus.  There's talk of closing the schools, closing businesses and offices, and just having everybody sealed up in their residences in a state of panic while they listen for instructions from Big Brother!  Yes, it seems a lot more like the fictional 1984 of Orwell's book than like the United States of America in the early twenty-first century!

It all got "ramped up" really fast!

Even the "Super Tuesday" primary election day seems like it was maybe three months ago.  The media overall has not handled this well.  Sensible talk-show host Dan Rea on Nightside on Boston's WBZ radio a few days ago said he's disturbed to hear announcers on C.N.N.  gleefully announcing, "We have three more cases of the coronavirus in America!"  On the matter of this virus, Rea truly lived up to his reputation as "The Voice of Reason".

Online, clergy are being asked, "What changes do you plan to make at your church because of the coronavirus?"  Some people are recommending cancelling church services, or at least enacting strong restrictions such as no Communion services, no coffee hours, no "greet one another" opportunities during the service, and of course cleaning the church facility as if it's a typhoid ward!  It's gotten me thinking that as much as I miss pastoring, I'm glad I'm not a pastor right now- because, other than perhaps being a bit more careful about cleaning, I'd probably make no changes to how I'd normally conduct church services and activities!

I was so happy that I almost started crying when Associate Pastor Janis Collette at Bread of Life Church in Westminster this morning opened the service by saying, "I know this probably isn't politically correct but why don't you hug someone or shake someone's hand this morning!"  The funny part is, I've never been very much for hugging or even much of a hand-shaker, and I've been teased for years about being reserved, standoffish, and even unfriendly; but after all the gloom and doom talk in the media this week, I've actually been wanting to be hugged at church!

I'm hesitant to write this next part, because I could easily be misunderstood and severely criticized, but here goes:  Sometime around fifteen years ago, I visited an older woman in the hospital twice who was very sick.  I don't know exactly what her diagnosis was, but she had some very serious and contagious virus.  She was in an isolation room.  There was a sign literally listing warnings about being in the room, being exposed to her, touching her, etc.  I won't use her last name, but just about anybody who lived in the Framingham, Massachusetts area twenty or thirty years ago will know who I mean when I state that it was Jennie M. who was a very prominent social conservative.  She wrote regular columns in the local newspaper.  She was featured from time to time on Boston area radio talk shows.  She was a particularly active and vocal opponent of abortion.  She was controversial.  In the late 1980s and early 1990s she'd actively attended First Assembly of God of Framingham where I'd pastored.  She later left our church and joined her husband at a large Roman Catholic church in Framingham.  Jennie's husband was in recovery and was active in the Knights of Columbus.  She felt she should honor her husband and "go back to the Catholic church" of her youth.  By the time I was visiting her in the hospital, her husband had passed away.  She told me she became very disappointed in the Catholic church and left it.  She lamented that she felt she really had no church to go to, although she loved God.  Jennie M. was viewed by the MetroWest community as this politically and socially fierce and scary person!  In reality she had a public image and a private life.  In her private life she was a quiet, humble, and reserved woman.  Despite those warnings in the hospital room, I twice went in to see her, talked to her, and laid hands on her and prayed for her.  She cautioned me that I should not do that.  But I saw a frightened, fragile, sick, hurting, and needy person, and I was only too glad to visit her and pray for her.  I never told anybody about those visits until now.  I never told my wife or my kids.  I did not want them to worry.  I never got sick, and they never got sick.  I know why I did not get sick.  The answer is:  God.  Obviously He wanted me to minister to Jennie M. and pray for her.  (She passed away several years after that.)

Now, please don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying I'm invincible!  In 1991, our whole family got terribly sick with the flu!  That was the worst flu I've ever had in my life and I hope to never  be that sick again!  Recently, in December 2019 and January 2020, I became very sick with a terrible cold.  My daughter Rachel got the same bad cold at the same time.  During that illness Rachel proclaimed, "This ain't no cold!" and I heartily agreed.  I was convinced we each had the flu.  I did not miss any days of work at my secular job.  (I know, I know, you can all scream at me!)  I did skip church one Sunday as I was just so sick!  About three weeks ago, I had my annual physical examination with my primary care physician.  I talked to him about this recent sickness and told him I was convinced it was the flu.  He told me it was not the flu but that this winter a severe cold was going around that typically lasted three to five weeks and was very debilitating.  That's what Rachel and I had.  So, no I'm not invincible!

I can see being a bit more diligent about cleaning and disinfecting.  And, the advice about staying home if you're sick is wise; and again, it's true I wrongly went to work sick.  But I can't see shutting the country down and proclaiming a  George Orwell style 1984.  I'm going to be a little cautious and that's it.  A little cautious.  Those who get the coronavirus have at least a ninety-five percent chance of making a full recovery from it.  If  I get sick from it, I expect to make a full recovery.  But frankly, if I don't, I'm not all that worried about it.  I'm sixty-five-years old.  I've struggled financially for most of my life, including now, but I've known the Lord Jesus Christ as my Personal Savior and Lord for almost fifty years, and have been privileged  to serve as a Minister of the Gospel!  My friend Pastor John S. went home to be with the Lord a week ago.  If  I get that virus and die, then I'm going to be with the Lord in Heaven and I'll be more than fine.

To anyone who will listen I say:  Sure, use the disinfectants, and be a little more cautious than you'd normally be, but please don't go crazy over this coronavirus, and for Heaven's sake, don't stop having church services!

4 comments:

MaryA said...

Ahh...a voice of reason in the jungle of fearmongering. I think this whole thing is being overblown and it is like all the other viruses that were supposed to be the next great pandemic and then fizzled. Take precautions yes, but the flu is more deadly than the beer virus. I'm not going to crawl in a hole and hide. I'll use wisdom and keep on living. Good piece.

Bob Baril said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bob Baril said...

I wanted to comment about why I wrote and then deleted my above comment. It's because once I'd "published" it, I noticed it contained a number of embarrassing spelling and grammatical errors! It was a bit long-I will make this a lot shorter. I wanted to say I've learned a lot more information about the coronavirus than I had when I wrote and posted this piece. I DON'T regret writing it; but I also had no idea what was coming in the next ten days and how much change and disruption we'd all have to endure. Two thoughts in closing: 1. God is still on the Throne! 2. Read Romans 8:28!

OldCan said...

Hi,
I don't think you were alone in your belief. That is very sad, but I've grown accustomed to this.

It is also sad that the quality of our "deep state" has fallen so much. I work for a company that s 80% US and 20% Canadian. Our Canadian Health & Safety gave their first presentation on Feb 3rd. It was based on World Health organization assessments. Our Canadian H&S person said they usually followed guideline from the US CDC, but they were literally no where to be found.

By Feb 3rd, our Canadian operations in Alberta were already aware of the problem we would be facing. Test kits were already being secured by the Alberta government and we were given guidance on "social distancing" and why it was important. By this time, we had given up on the US CDC and realized this was political in the US and we'd better go it alone.

Our southern US operations pushed back hard on any advanced plans or training even though through most of February there were daily updates by the WHO showing growth that indicated this was really contageous and while not like ebola, the data indicated it was a higher mortality rate than just the flu. Those two factors made us pause.

One other factor that made us pause was our Chinese vendors told us that ALL required resources were being diverted to the effort inside the country to stop the spread. We just hear the build a hospital story, but it goes way, way, way beyond that.

By coincidence I arrived in Louisiana on the day that they had their first confirmed case on March 9. I left on March 11th when they announced 6. I was visiting a chemical plant and they had already implemented "social distancing" protocols and were giving training videos to employees and contractors on how to keep themselves and their family safe.

At night I watched the local evangilists on TV. I was raised on Jimmy Swaggart who was a local Louisiana legend. Everyone of them was saying the same thing that you did. Overblown, liberal plot to stop people from going to church, deep state plan to make Trump look bad. On Feb 3 I may have agreed with them, by March I was sure I was watching a train wreck. I also had come to realize the politics of the situation. Too risky to man-up for Trump so it was going to be spread the blame which I'm pretty sure is going to fall to the governors.

I guess the one thing that I'd say about the media was that it had definitely become an us vs them story. The President loves it because he looks strong to his base downplaying the danger while the opponents think he's irresponsible and are yelling fire. The media amplifies it because they get great ratings.

The other thing that I realized while in Louisiana when I met with someone from Brazil. Trump sounds so petty insisting on calling it the Wuhan flu. It plays well with the MAGA crowd but to the rest of the world he just sounds petty and small.

One other thing that I'd like to say about the media, is that they really don't present anything truly human. It is a show. They focus and parse the presidents words and dance and fight while they aren't showing people suffering and dying. They aren't showing how the big cities are trying to secure convention centers for hospital areas. They don't show town and cities competing against each other to get more body bags. Who cares about toilet paper. They don't show towns and cities trying to find refrigeration to store bodies. They don't show the healthcare workers getting sick. They don't show working class people going into a crappy, low paying job worrying about the guy next to me being sick. It pains me that we can't see our fellow man suffering and reach out.

One final thought. I think MAGA should mean make america Godly again. I lived during the time of aids growing and some pastors and others saying it was a curse by God on immoral people. Could it be a curse by God on us for having voted for such an immoral person to represent the USA?