Friday, January 7, 2022

JESSE KELLY: THANK YOU

 "Therefore comfort each other and edify one another just as you also are doing." (I Thessalonians 5:11 New King James Version)

One year ago this week I listened to the Jesse Kelly Show (locally in Boston on WRKO 680 A.M.) for the very first time.  I had no idea who Jesse Kelly was, and for the first few days I didn't know what to make of him!  The first week of January in 2021 was a difficult week for me.  I had several people completely reject me due to my political views.  On that painful and soul-searching week, I needed something to cheer me up and help me refocus my thoughts and feelings.  The Jesse Kelly Show became exactly that for me!  It wasn't long before I couldn't wait to tune in to hear Jesse Kelly.  And, honestly, in many respects Jesse Kelly (a guy who's twenty-seven years younger than I am) helped me with my thinking, and my confidence, and my whole approach to life.

There are 10 Things about Jesse Kelly that I deeply appreciate:

1.  VERY ENTERTAINING.  Jesse's not boring!  His show goes by very quickly because he's so interesting. 

2.  GREAT STORYTELLER.  I honestly don't have many talents, but I am a very good storyteller.  Some of you know I've told a story on Public Radio's The Moth Story Hour.  Jesse Kelly is a great storyteller!  He and Public Radio are exact opposites when it comes to politics (same with me) but he's as good or better as anyone I've ever heard on The Moth.

3.  A PATRIOT.  Jesse served in the U.S. Marines from 2000 to 2004 and has been in combat. 

4.  FOCUS ON VETERANS.  Every Monday is "Medal of Honor Monday" in which Jesse focuses on at least one Medal of Honor citation.  He believes the brave actions of our veterans should never be forgotten.

5.  FOCUS ON GRATITUDE.  One theme you'll constantly hear on the Jesse Kelly Show is "Gratitude".  Jesse Kelly believes lack of appreciation is the root of much really bad behavior in individuals and in societies.

6.  PRAYING REGULARLY WITH HIS SONS.  This one goes right along with Number 5.  Yes, Jesse Kelly could be described as very macho.  But he's not too macho to pray with his sons (ages 11 and 13) every night and to encourage each of them to "name something you're grateful for" when they pray.  Jesse is also not afraid to ask people to pray for him about various matters.  That's something I greatly respect about him.

7.  IMPRESSIVE KNOWLEDGE OF HISTORY.  Jesse Kelly often says he had only three years of community college as far as higher education,  but he's done a lot of reading.  His history stories are always riveting and very informative. 

8.  VERSATILE.  Jesse Kelly has lived in Ohio, Montana, Arizona,  suburban Washington D.C., and Texas.  He's been a construction worker, salesman, fundraiser, congressional candidate, and now a radio talk show host and podcaster.

9.  OFFERS GOOD COUNSEL.  Friday's show is always "Ask Doctor Jesse Friday".  People do write in with some silly questions, but many are about job problems or relationship problems or extended family issues or finances or decision making.  I've found much of his advice to be very helpful. 

10.  NOT A TERRIBLE PERSON!  One thing you've got to get used to when you listen to Jesse Kelly is all the "tongue-in-cheek" humor!  He constantly says "I'm a really bad person!" or "I'm a terrible person!"  He isn't!

The Jesse Kelly Show can be found online as a podcast and is also broadcast on over two hundred stations all around America- mostly during early evening hours. 

Jesse Kelly: Thank you. 


2 comments:

Elaine S said...

Bob, Thank you for letting me know about Jesse Kelly. I've been enjoying his show since you told me how much you like to listen to him on WRKO radio. Your list of Jesse's attributes is spot on.

CM said...

Jesse Kelly,

Is a MAGA, Kool-Aid drinking cultist. His head is so far up Trump's posterior he could have a conversation with Tucker Carlson.