Thursday, May 18, 2006

HAVE YOU EVER READ I TIMOTHY 5?

I usually quote a Bible passage for each of my blog entries.  This one is kind of long, so I’m just going to give the reference.  It’s First Timothy chapter five, especially verses nine through sixteen.  These were the Apostle Paul’s rules (yes rules) regarding financial support of widows in the church.  They are really tough.  If a widow was under sixty, she didn’t get help.  If she had been married more than once, she didn’t get help.  If she was not a really generous, sacrificial, hospitable type, she didn’t get help.  Paul even goes on to “take a shot” at younger widows, urging them to get married and have kids.

Some people argue that the New Testament church was very lovey-dovey and happy-sappy- that in the New Testament church everybody was just gushed over with “agape love”...even that had the song “Kum-By-Ya” been written, the New Testament Christians would all have been holding hands singing it.  First Timothy chapter five proves that this happy-sappy view of the New Testament church is far from accurate!

I had occasion to “reference” First Timothy chapter five at the Southern New England (Assemblies of God) District Council in Wayland, Massachusetts earlier this week.  Two resolutions were put before the body.  Both passed overwhelmingly.  One called for the establishment of a Portuguese Language Fellowship who would have their own Presbyter (leader with Administrative powers).  The other called for the financial contribution requirements for Brazilian ministers to be substantially less than for their American counterparts.  I voted against both Resolutions, although I do admit that the first resolution had some merit.  One thing that greatly bothered me was the attitude conveyed that anyone who wanted to hold the Brazilians to the same standard as the Americans was unloving, uncharitable, un-Christian, etc.  I finally could listen no longer.  I went to a microphone and pointed out the (admittedly uncomfortable) message of First Timothy chapter five- that there is a place in the church for really hard, firm rules which at times may SEEM cumbersome or irrational.   If you disagree, you’ll have to rip First Timothy chapter five out of your Bible!

This is controversial stuff.  I don’t hate Brazilians!  I have Brazilian friends and I have preached (with interpreters) at Brazilian churches on several occasions.  But I believe we have to follow the rules, and if we move to another country, we have to learn their language and follow their rules.  

You disagree?  Have YOU read First Timothy five?

No comments: