Friday, May 12, 2006

TRAVELOGUE

“...whom when Paul saw, he thanked God, and took courage.”  (Acts 28:15)

If you tend to get seasick or have a really weak stomach, you probably shouldn’t read Acts chapters twenty-seven and twenty-eight!  These chapters describe Paul’s voyage to Rome.  Believe me, it was quite a trip, involving a shipwreck, spending several months on Malta (where Paul was bitten by a poisonous snake) and then finally continuing on to Rome.  As Paul approached Rome, some brethren came out to meet him.  Acts 28:15 tells us that when he saw them he thanked God and took courage.

I am not one who really enjoys long car trips.  I don’t know if it’s because I had a father who was a good mechanic and would tell you everything that could possibly go wrong with a car, or if it’s because in my life I have been left stranded at the side of the road with disabled cars far more times than I can count.  For that reason, when I’m nearing the end of a long car trip, I always think of Acts 28:15 and I verbally thank God and take courage.  Late this afternoon when Amy and I crossed the border into West Stockbridge, Massachusetts, I did exactly that.  She kind of chuckled, but I was very serious.  I thank everybody who prayed we’d have a safe trip.  We did!

My flights to Chicago and then to Springfield, Missouri on Tuesday went well, although on the flight to Chicago there was a fat woman next to me, and I do mean FAT.  I was squished very uncomfortably into my seat!  On another negative note, on the flights, I was reading a precious Christian book that had been given to me, and I (stupidly) left it on the plane when I got “deplaned” at Springfield, Missouri.  When I remembered about an hour later, I felt stupid and disgusted.  I still feel that way, but I just can’t undo that mistake!

It was surreal to be at Evangel University on Tuesday night at a concert of the Springfield, Missouri Youth Symphony Orchestra.  (Ryan Seler, Denny and Debby’s high schooler plays violin in that orchestra.)  Springfield, Missouri gets a real bad rap as a “hick and hillbilly” city full of ignorant rednecks.  For every “ignorant redneck” who resides in that community, there are at least ten very nice people, and MANY who are VERY refined, cultured and sophisticated!  The Youth Symphony is a case in point.  They will be performing at Carnegie Hall within the next year- no kidding!

It rained with a “Noah’s flood” type rain on Wednesday as we were departing the city via Amy’s ‘95 Ford Taurus.  I have never seen such a rainstorm in Springfield, with streets FLOODED!  The traffic in St. Louis on Wednesday night was heavy and gridlocked.  It took a good hour and a half to get through the St. Louis Metro Area.  (Maybe they need a “big dig”!  Well, maybe not!)

The rain alternated between bright sunshine and heavy rain showers almost all the way home.  The traffic in the Columbus, Ohio area in some respects was worse than St. Louis.  On this trip, as well as on a previous trip, the traffic backed up off the ramps right onto the Interstate highways for miles with traffic just stopped!  Numerous accidents were reported.  Supposedly, Boston has the worst roads, traffic, and drivers.  Honestly, it doesn’t!  Columbus, Ohio has really done something WRONG with its highway planning and design!  Maybe they need a “big dig”- no obviously, I’m just trying to be obnoxious, and they don’t!  Amy and I spent Thursday night at “Truck World” in Hubbard, Ohio which is on the Pennsylvania border.  “Truck World” is a truckers’ mecca, featuring a motel, restaurant, gas station, saloon, and convenience store, as well as an official State of Ohio truck regulatory facility.  Signs warn patrons to NOT bring guns into the buildings!  Although 98% of the patrons are truckers, we love to stay there.  The prices are great, and the food is great.

Today, May 12, 2006 is Amy’s 21st birthday.  Her drivers’ license expires TODAY.  Since she turns 21, she could not renew it on-line nor could she renew early due to  the drinking-age thing.  I was hurrying to make it to the Pittsfield Registry before closing so she could renew.  I did not make it.  She will have to renew Monday morning in Framingham.  I was VERY disappointed that I did not make it on time to the Pittsfield Registry!  As with leaving the book on the plane, I felt stupid and disgusted, but there was nothing I could do.  (Incidentally, although I do not drink any alcoholic beverages at all EVER, I believe the legal drinking age should be 18.  If it was 18 this silly thing would not even have happened.)

Please don’t misunderstand.  Amy was not angry at me or anything.  I was mad at myself.  I’m very hard on myself, and (incidentally) little corrective platitudes from others about this trait of mine (frankly) only make me more determined to be hard on myself, so please pray for me and keep the comments to yourselves!

Did I have a restful vacation?  Am I glad I went away?  Well, the answers are  “not really” and “I’m not sure”.  BUT, am I glad to be back and am I grateful for those who prayed for Amy and me to have a safe trip?  Yes, ABSOLUTELY!

No comments: