Wednesday, October 4, 2006

FEEDBACK

Today, I just thought I'd give updates about a few previous postings:

FIXING A HOLE- I contacted a paving company who advertises around Framingham.  A very affluent looking guy in an SUV came by with all sorts of fancy equipment and ended up giving an Estimate of $1250.  That's very high and at least $400 more than our small church can afford.  Incidentally, I was surprised that "Fixing a Hole" only brought one comment on the blog and three or four e-mails.  I have been in touch with a friend of mine from Medway who is trying to come up with a cheap and reasonable way to fix the hole.

...MICHAEL GRAHAM...- I guess the only people in MetroWest who really care about the Michael Graham situation are Jennie Maroney and me (well, not counting Michael Graham and his family, since they live in MetroWest)!  I think I can speak for Jennie Maroney in that the lack of interest in the unethical deed that WTKK-FM has done to Michael Graham really saddens Jennie and me, but, sadly, I guess that's life in fast-paced twenty-first century America.

MY COMPLAINTS ABOUT AN AIRLINE AND A MUFFLER SHOP - I got some flack on and off the blog for that.  My wife feels very strongly that I should not air personal frustrations on the blog.  I will admit that the reason I like Christy Mihos so much and that I'll probably vote for him is that I AM a "Christy Mihos"- eccentric, outspoken, and not afraid to stand alone.  I also know that when you ARE a "Christy Mihos" type, you often DO stand alone... well, why do you think he's only at 7% in the polls?  SO, should I keep the personal frustration stuff off the blog?

I usually share a Bible verse with each posting.  How about John 11:35 "Jesus Wept" ?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

FIXING A HOLE: This whole opened up in February?  Wow you are related to Gene.  I think the only reason your house ever got painted was because someone he did a favor for would eventually paint it for nearly free.  

Anyway, try this.  Find 3 to 5 paving contractors.  Don't worry so much about big or small, and don't get so worked up over Taylor not being interested.  Call each one and tell them you are getting quotes to fix a hole in your lot.  You may get two to show up.  If so, call three more.  Your first goal is to get three quotes.  You said $1250 is very high so it sounds like you paved quite a few parking lots before?  The part about being $400 more than you can afford is relevant.  Listen carefully when they are there and ask lots of questions about what they are going to do and how long it will take.  Unless this hole is huge, figure material will be $250 and labor will be $50 an hour.  Make up your own estimate based on what you learned and than play with total hours and rate to see what is reasonable.  Call the one that you like the best and tell them what you think is reasonable and negotiate from there.  I think you can probably do better than $1250, but I haven't seen the crater.

MICHAEL GRAHAM:  Who's that?  I stopped listening to talk radio when I found out Rush had been divoriced and married three times...at last count.

COMPLAINTS: With all due respect to your wife, I think your best blogs are the ones where you complain about something.  They make me laugh.

Anonymous said...

To oldcatcan:
Thanks for your comments!
Actually I'm NOT like my father in that I'm a person who wants everything done "yesterday".  We'd had holes like that done before by the "Taylor St. Paving Co."- NEVER paid more than $800 and usually less than that.  They gave me their word they would give me an estimate, and pending my approval, would take care of it.  That was many months ago.  In a small church I essentially "do everything" and I am having a very hard time just keeping up. My friend Lee has been in construction with his Dad and has a couple of ideas about fixing it real cheap...I think I'm going to go that routh for now.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps it's just the way you organize your thoughts that reminds me of your dad, but I would like to offer some evidence in you own words...

"...eccentric, outspoken, and not afraid to stand alone"  that's your was your dad.

Anonymous said...

To oldcatcan:

You may have told me, but how did you know my father?  It's obvious you knew him pretty well.  And when did you ever visit my church?   If you want, send me a private e-mail.