Saturday, October 21, 2006

A PLEASANT SURPRISE

“But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.”  (James 1:22)

Interestingly enough, we studied that portion of James chapter 1 last night at our Bible Study.  There’s a LOT in that one verse.  In the King James, “Word” isn’t capitalized, but I think it really should be, for it refers to the Bible, the Word of God.  The verse is saying it’s not enough to quote Bible verses and religious platitudes- you have to DO practical things to really make a difference in society and even in “your” own world, that is, your sphere of influence.

Yesterday morning I went to the church’s post office box.  To my surprise it contained a Pastor Appreciation card and check made out to me- I won’t tell you for how much, but I will say it was more than $50.  It was from a couple who had left our church over five years ago.  Their leaving was not on the best terms.  There were areas where this couple and I just did not “see eye-to-to-eye”.  A few times, the man verbally challenged me in public, arguing about my interpretations of Scripture, my personal philosophies, etc.  On other occasions, his wife would have teary outbursts which would reflect in one way or another that I was an insensitive pastor.  That’s why the card and check, along with a warm and personal note were such a surprise- well, I’ll say it, a SHOCK.

I was actually pretty humbled by the card and note.  I would have understood if they’d have sent a nice note to me AND TO THE CHURCH, along with a check to the church.  But to send a note and check to me, personally- you know, if the situation were reversed, I’m not at all sure that I would have even done that!

Over the years, there was one saying of that particular woman that really ”grabbed” me.  I’ve often thought about it, and I’ve often spoken about it.  She used to say, “If people would just DO what the Lord tells them to do, 90% of the problems (in the church) would be solved”.  It’s absolutely true.  It’s not just true for the church, it’s true, period.  There is a very simple key to success in life; just do what the Lord wants you to do.  Now, I know someone may ask, “Well, what if some nut wants to shoot 75 people and say that God told him to do it?!”  I certainly am not advocating anything like that.  And, a very reasonable reading of the Bible will indicate that God is clearly NOT telling theguy to do that.  But God is telling us to love our neighbor, to love God, to do good to others, to think of others more highly than ourselves, to set a good example,  and a whole lot of other “stuff” like that.   And, that’s exactly what James 1:22 is trying to say.

There is even a liberal, secular slogan that says it well:  “Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.”  I always chuckle at that “senseless” part of it!

I’m just kind of humbled today.  And, you know what, I encourage YOU to
“be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I say AMEN to all of the above.