Thursday, November 2, 2006

PEOPLE MIKE BARNICLE HATES

“Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you!  for so did their fathers to the false prophets.” (Luke 6:26)

I don’t hate Mike Barnicle, but I guess he would hate me.

For those of you who don’t know who Mike Barnicle is, he has a late morning radio talk show on Boston’s 96.9 FMTalk.  He also “contributes” to the Chronicle newsmagazine show on Boston’s Channel 5, and is seen occasionally on MS-NBC.  Mike can be very interesting and entertaining and can be quite funny.  Mike Barnicle is probably about 65, from an Irish Catholic background, and I’d say he’s socially liberal and fiscally conservative.  He leans Democrat, but isn’t a strict partisan.  He’s pretty good at radio, although he constantly says he hates it, along with disdaining many of the callers.  There are so many people who would LOVE a shot at having their own radio talk show that it seems unfair for a guy who HAS one to hate it so much!

If you listened to Mike Barnicle’s program yesterday, you’ll probably think I want to write about Mike’s defense/explanation of John Kerry’s incredibly insensitive remarks a couple of days ago, but that’s NOT what this piece is about.

The reason I think Mike would hate me is not that I’m an avid talk radio listener- although I am.  The reason Mike would hate me is that I’m an evangelical Christian.

A few days ago he commented, “Have you ever met ANY of these EVANGELICALS?!  I mean their WHACKED!  They’re CRAZY!”

Can you imagine if he’d said that about Jews?  Or Mormons?  Or just about anybody else?  He wouldn't have.   Muslims believe they are the most hated religious group in America, but that MAY not be the case.  The stereotyping of evangelicals and the hatred of evangelicals is...well...sad.

Pollster George Barna categorizes “born-again Christians”  and “evangelicals” separately, but I don’t.  My experience is that the terms are pretty much synonymous.  Evangelical Christians believe that just being born into a Christian family, going to church, or having been baptized are not enough to merit Heaven.  We believe there MUST be a definite, distinct, personal commitment to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord.  There are Roman Catholics who call themselves “born again” or “evangelical” although such folks make up only about 5% of American Roman Catholics.  Most evangelicals are Protestants.  In America, probably about 40% of Protestants could be classified as evangelicals.  That figure is probably only about 20% of Protestants in Massachusetts, but would be around 70% of Protestants in a  place like Dallas, Texas.

The stereotypical evangelical is white, of northern European extraction, Republican, ultra-conservative, very intolerant, and  wants to force America to become a fundamentalist Christian nation.   Now, there ARE some evangelicals like that.  But my experience is that they’re a minority.  Probably about 25% of evangelical Christians in America fit that description, but probably about 75% do not!  (Incidentally, did you know that at least HALF of the Brazilians living in the Framingham area are evangelicals?  Do THEY fit that description?!)  There are African-American evangelicals, Asians, even Native Americans.  The majority of evangelicals are politically moderate and most likely to NOT belong to any political party.  Admittedly, many evangelical LEADERS are conservative Republicans but that doesn’t tend to be true of the laity.  Some evangelicals are liberals.  Some are Democrats.  Did you know, for instance, that the world’s most famous evangelical Christian, Billy Graham, is a Democrat?

You may think I’m being very touchy about what Mike Barnicle said.  If this were the first time, I’d probably ignore it, but over the years he’s ignorantly taken shots at evangelical Christians time and time again.  I’d e-mail Mike Barnicle, but he doesn’t read his e-mail.  I’d write him a letter, but he’d never answer it.  

I’m just tired of the stereotyping and I wanted to put down my “two cents worth” about what it means to be an evangelical.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I share your feelings about Mike Barnicle, who I consider to be a complete ignoramus!  I happened to tune in on the day President Bush was giving a speech about Iraq and Mike and whoever was there with him were having a high old time laughing and making jokes about him, giggling and snickering like two fools.  They reminded me of school kids making fun of one of their teachers.

Why people like Barnicle are even on the radio is a complete mystery to me.  There are so many others infinitely more qualified than he, funnier, more informed and definitely more entertaining.  The thing I remember most about Barnicle, however, is that he was fired from the Boston Globe for plagiarism a few years back.  He disappeared from the scene for a while, but unfortunately came back again.  He's a complete zero, as far as I'm concerned.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure he hates me more because I don't listen to him at all.  Not ever, never, and won't.  He falls into radio talk show host trying to sell advertising to a market segment and generally I don't listen to any of them.

Regarding your premise of being the most hated, sorry but  Muslims win by a long shot.  I think that people fill a void in direct knowledge by filling it in with TV news.  You seem to think Mike "would hate me" personally because of what he said generally on a radio show.   Whether he would or not hate you, you BELIEVE he would because what was on his show.  Look at all the media on Muslims, what do you think the sterotype of a "typcial" muslim is in a country where there aren't that many and we learn most about it from TV?    









Anonymous said...

revbaril,
I need to go back and re-read Peter’s epistles about persecution, but the liberal media, in particular, and the liberal academics are at best critics.  Jesus and the apostles were physically persecuted, and, even so, sets an incredible example of love.

I am reminded of an outgoing Persian (Iranian) Jew who was visiting Tunisia in February 2005.  I had dinner with him and the conversation drifted toward religion.  Although he is not the first Persian Jew that I’ve met, he is the first that I’ve had the chance to discuss religion.   Notwithstanding my effort to try to get him to admit how difficult it was to live, and it is, in Iran and be Jewish, he spoke largely of the many people he was able to meet and influence their views on his beliefs.   I finally asked what kept him so positive.  His simple response was “an opportunity to explain my beliefs to so many unbelievers.”   The media and academics can be critics, and there are many more, but they can’t make me a victim, especially with so much wind at our backs.

Pass on birthday regards to Dianne.