Thursday, November 23, 2006

THANKSGIVING

“In every thing give thanks:  for this is he will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.” (I Thessalonians 5:18)

One of the most unfortunate parts of Thanksgiving is that it’s SUPPOSED to be a day of giving thanks - to God, and others- and so often it’s just a day for “pigging out”.  All that said, I really like Thanksgiving!  Thanksgiving, Fourth of July, and Easter are my favorite holidays of the year.  And I even like Patriots Day, which we in Massachusetts have in mid-April.  I’m NOT real big on Christmas.  I know that may surprise people, but I’ll write more about that in a few weeks.

I’m thankful for all sorts of things:

I’m thankful for Mr. Carrier or WHOEVER invented air conditioning about a hundred years ago.  Even with the problems of mold growing in condensers and the ozone layer being destroyed, I still am a big fan of air conditioning!

I’m thankful for automatic transmission cars.  No, I’m just not one of those European stick-shift types!  In fact, I’m thankful for cars!

I’m thankful for hot and cold running water.  Much of the world has NO clean water.  Having clean, running water is a TREMENDOUS blessing!

I’m thankful for how much razors have improved in my lifetime!  I started shaving at around 14 with a typical 1960s Gillette razor with the old fashioned razor blades.  The original Trac II came out when I was 16 and it was marvelous compared to traditional blades.  However today’s MACH 3 blades are WAY better than Trac II - and I haven’t even tried Gillette Fusion yet!

I’m thankful for eyeglasses.  If I lived in the time of Jesus, I’d be walking into trees and other things all the time!  I’m quite nearsighted, and I need glasses for reading, too, which is why I’m thankful for “progressive lenses”.

I’m thankful for coffee.  My mother was a big coffee drinker.  My Dad wasn’t. My siblings never cared for coffee.  My wife and kids don’t like coffee, but I just love the stuff!

I’m thankful for good health.

I’m thankful for my wife, Mary Ann.  She has been a very good wife to me; probably a better wife to me than I’ve been a husband to her.  Being married to a pastor who makes very little money and who has a unique and eccentric personality has GOT to be challenging!

I’m thankful for my kids.  Jon, age 23 has a very high I.Q. and is a phenomenal writer.  He didn’t get his brains from me!  Amy, age 21, is going to make a great nurse.  She’s a real “go getter” (more than I am) and very compassionate.  Rachel, age 20, is a very talented artist and actress.  She’s good enough to be some sort of a famous performer.  I’m not just saying that ‘cause she’s my kid- she really is THAT gifted.

I’m thankful for you who read this blog.  As Billy Crystal says in “Throw Momma From the Train”:  “a writer writes”.  Well, that’s true, but if nobody ever read the stuff- well, what would be the point of it?

And, I’m thankful most of all for the Lord Jesus Christ and His great salvation.  He’s really made everything possible!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'm thankful for a daddy who sacraficed so much throughout my life to get me to the place where I am right now. love you