Sunday, February 11, 2007

A FEW OF MY FAVORITE THINGS (extra entry)

“But covet earnestly the best gifts:  and yet shew I you a more excellent way.” (I Corinthians 12:31)

Through the years, I’ve received a number of gifts- birthday gifts, Christmas gifts, graduation gifts, even Valentine’s Day gifts.  I’ve received Cross pen and pencil sets, which I literally have never used.  I’ve received some books which I’ve literally never read.  I actually donated one to the public library.  I received various “gizmos” which have sat on shelves.  Now, I DO like to get gift certificates to restaurants, but last year I got a gift certificate to a classy restaurant, and honestly, the meal was tiny and the experience was MISERABLE.

I’m different.  I’m eccentric.  It’s amazing what gifts will mean a lot to me.  I got a few of them last Friday.

By Friday afternoon (for various reasons) I was in a very sad mood.  I got three e-mails which MADE MY DAY!  One was from Craig Bellisario, principal of New Covenant Christian School in Marlboro.  Craig asked me to be the M.C. of the school’s variety show on a Friday night in March.  I said “yes” almost immediately.  Yes, I WILL have to cancel my Bible Study for that night, but that will be O.K. for one week.  I can’t tell you how much “performing” in front of an audience blesses me.  I’d rather perform in front of an audience than take a trip to Israel.  No kidding.  I’d rather get a speaking engagement at a church of 100 than take a trip to Alaska (and I love travel to Alaska!).  No kidding.  Of course, speaking at a church in Alaska would be the frosting on the cake!  Sometimes I’ve BEGGED people for speaking engagements and performing opportunities, and I’ve been extremely depressed that I had to beg like that.  Craig asking me to be the M.C. literally filled my eyes with happy tears.

Another thing that filled my eyes with tears was a beautiful e-mail from female Messianic Jewish rabbi Tobi Hawksley.  Speaking of trips to Israel, she just got back from Israel  Tobi sent me SUCH an encouraging e-mail, affirming me as a pastor and a gifted man of God.  Again, there were very happy tears.

The final one may sound stupid, but it’s not to me.  My friend Jim Spence let me know he enjoyed a short and funny e-mail I’d sent him and he was forwarding it on to people.  I love when people forward my e-mails.  I admit, some of the mass e-mails I’ve sent out over the years have been really stupid, but THIS one was really funny.  Receiving Jim’s compliment and word that he was forwarding it just made me feel worthwhile.

So you see, it doesn’t take Cross pen and pencil sets, nor books, nor trips to classy restaurants to make me happy.  Those 3 e-mails BLESSED me!!

I will say THIS, though.  If anyone INSISTS on giving me a physical and tangible gift, as Howie Carr would say, “I’m registered at the U.S. Treasury!”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's awesome dad! johnny most here you come

i hope you have a fun time. i'm glad that craig asked you to do that.   :)

Anonymous said...

So you're saying for your birthday you want an e-mail with money in it? ...I'd have to work out the logistics.
I think the part where you went "I'm different" was funny...

Glad you get to MC... we Barils like being on stage.

Anonymous said...

Keep on 'keeping on".....you are doing a great job