Monday, February 5, 2007

MY BIGGEST COMPLAINT ABOUT AOL JOURNALS (extra entry)

“And Satan stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel.”  (I Chronicles 21:1)

God was not pleased when David numbered Israel.  Apparently David was largely numbering Israel out of pride and trusting in the might of his armies, and not in God.  That was the real sin.  Today, pastors are almost always obsessed with numbers...how many people are in church, how many are on the Membership roll, and how much money came in.  I guess we’re not much better than King David in that area!

Numbers.

My biggest complaint about AOL Journals is that stupid counter that tells how many people have read your blog.  Mine has crashed and gone back to zero at least 4 times in the past year.   A number of months ago, I went to an area on-line where AOL Journals deals with questions and problems people have.  That one is a big problem for a lot of AOL bloggers.  They DID give a solution of how to reset your counter.  Well, for a non-technical guy like me, I didn’t even want to attempt it!   I never saved the information, and I’d have to go back to that area and find it, and then I probably wouldn’t do anything with it, anyway.  But it bugs me.  The counter is particularly prone to crash when it turns the next hundred or the next thousand.  Mine has crashed once or twice when it turned 800 and once when it turned 1100.  I’m ashamed to admit it, but I’m embarrassed that someone may go to my blog and think something like, “This blog has been around for a YEAR and it’s only been read 43 times?!”

Actually it’s probably now been read at least 3000 times, but maybe the scenario of someone thinking I don’t even get one reader a week is one of God’s ways of keeping me humble!

If anyone from AOL is reading this:  I’m happy to have an AOL Journal and overall they’re very easy for non-technical people like me to use, but if it’s possible, will you guys (and gals) fix that counter crashing problem that bugs a lot of us?!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, at least the number's always increasing, even if it does go back to zero... at least SOMEBODY's reading it... heck, I did... I'm number 18 according to your counter!

Anonymous said...

I still can recall the days when you were deadly afraid of computers and didn't want anything to do with them ... You've grown along ways since then ... And now you realize that with anything man made tomputers have their share of problems ...  As some people put it, and that's not all bad ...