Thursday, September 27, 2007

I GET AROUND

"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child:  but when I became a man, I put away childish things."  (I Corinthians 12:11)

Yesterday, September 26, 2007 was kind of a milestone in that it was my daughter Rachel's 21st birthday.  She was born exactly one week after my 32nd birthday in 1986.  In fact, Mary Ann and I made a "false alarm" trip to the hospital ON my birthday that year.  She thought she was about to have the baby but was sent home.  I think we had two false alarm trips that year; such that when we came to the hospital for the THIRD time I felt kind of like Ricky Ricardo or something! 

The 21st birthday thing can be problematic for Massachusetts driver's license renewals.  This was Rachel's year to rewew and her first time to have an "adult" license...it's all tied in to the drinking age.  Thus, you really CAN'T renew ahead of time like most people can.  Rachel is out at Westfield State College.  She is usually not good at directions and finding new places, so I drove out there and we went to Eastfield Mall on the Springfield/Wilbraham line where they have a "Registry express" place right in the mall.  There was NO waiting!  Rachel got her adult license, and I got the registration renewed on our 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan.

This has been a busy week for me.  I was in Medford on Tuesday night and was up there too late for my taste.  I had spend the day on Tuesday sealing the rear deck at the parsonage and I still have sore muscles and joints from that!  I got a Deacon from our church to lead the Wednesday night prayer meeting, because I thought I would not get back in time for it, but I did.  Even so, I'm glad I wasn't leading it because I was SO tired I felt like I was dreaming.

Rachel and I did get to have a meal out after the license renewal.  It was at a Friendly's at 4 p.m.  Since it was neither lunch nor supper, Rachel called it "lupper"...well if you can say "brunch", WHY NOT?

At the Westfield State campus yesterday, I noticed all these energetic 20ish kids moving about.  It seems like only yesterday that I was the same age.  Now, it really feels weird that my YOUNGEST is 21!  Internally, I feel about 38-years-old but externally (and factoring in the aches and pains and reduced energy level) I'm reminded I'm really 53!

Did our parents keep such busy calendars 30-plus years ago? 
Sometimes I feel like I'm just running and running like the Energizer bunny.

Well, I gotta go and get back to the running......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

:-)

Anonymous said...

lupper huh...interesting. i'm sorry you are feeling old daddy :(  you aren't old to us!