Wednesday, September 5, 2007

THE STAMP ACT

“And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name..”  (Revelation 13:17)

I suppose I’m scooping Michelle McElroy of www.thisisframingham.com (sorry, Michelle) but about ten days ago, signs appeared on the stamp machines at the Framingham main post office located on Route 30.  The signs state that the machines will be removed on or before September 28, 2007.

I’m sad about the machines going.  They’re SO convenient!  Instead of waiting in line for twenty minutes just to buy a 41-cent stamp (FORTY minutes in December) you just walk up to the machine, throw in your coins or dollar bill, and buy the stamp.  My wife thinks they’re getting rid of the machines because at the main post office’s self-service shipping area, you can buy stamps by machine BUT YOU HAVE TO USE A CREDIT CARD OR A DEBIT CARD.  There are also signs posted around the main post office encouraging people to buy stamps on-line.

I know you’ll think I’m a conspiracy nut (and maybe I am) but I believe we’re moving toward a cashless, checkless society.  I don’t have the time or space to explain why that CAN’T be a good idea.  I do have a credit card, and I do have a checking account, but whenever possible in life I buy things with old fashioned bills and coins and I really prefer it that way. 

The good news is, you can still buy stamps at a machine using coins and bills at the downtown post office located at Park Street and Park Place, across from the Armenian Church.  The downtown post office is (frankly) where poor people, elderly people, and illegal aliens do business.  A lot of them don’t have credit cards or computers.  Our church’s post office box is located there and I’’ll still be buying stamps using coins and bills at the downtown post office machine.

No comments: