Friday, November 16, 2007

A BIT OF HEAVEN

“...The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much...” (from James 5:16)

Yesterday afternoon I returned from the 16th Annual Vision New England Pastors’ Prayer Summit which was held at Pilgrim Pines Conference Center in W. Swanzey, NH (just south of Keene, NH).  It’s hard to describe what a “prayer summit” is. I usually tell people it’s a “prayer retreat” and it IS, but it’s really much more than that.  If you’re not someone who’s a “born-again Christian” and really “plugged in” to God, much of what I could write in this entry would sound at best foolish and misguided and at worst insane.  But the fact is, we worship and seek God with all our hearts at these prayer summits...WAY beyond “playing church” or “religious rituals”.  They are very special times and they are supernatural times.

I have not attend all of the New England Pastors’ Prayer Summits.  This was my 9th.  I have attended sporadically since my first in 1994.  In those days, more attended.  Time was when there would be almost 80 pastors present.  This year, there were 41 registered, BUT in the ‘90s, there was only one New England Summit.  There is now a Connecticut Prayer Summit, a Rhode Island Prayer Summit, and a Boston Prayer Summit.  Many pastors who attend the “regional summits” no longer attend the November New England Summits.  Another change is that Women pastors have been invited to attend for the past few years...originally, they were “guys only” events.  Everything that happens at the Prayer Summit is confidential.  This is because the Prayer Summit is a “safe place” where pastors can “let their hair down” and share what they’re going through in their churches, struggles they’re having, etc.  I will say that I was completely exhausted, frustrated, and kind of depressed when I left for the Summit on Monday morning.  I pride myself in being very organized.  I left my church work and other commitments in a total mess.  I knew when I got back, it would mean a very busy and very hectic Friday and Saturday, and I’m into that right now, and no, THAT part of it...coming back to mountains of stuff to do...is not fun....BUT I am glad I attended the Summit.  There was an unusually strong sense of God’s presence and blessing at this year’s event.  I will not go into detail here, but God also placed a special and new calling on my life.  He spoke it into my heart first, NOT audibly, but as Elijah the prophet wrote, with His “still small voice” deep in my spirit.  Later, a person laid hands on me and prayed and prophesied WHAT GOD HAD ALREADY TOLD ME.  I had told NO ONE about it- therefore I knew this was confirmation from God.  Am I going to tell you what God said?  Nope, but trust me, it was good.

I believe there was only one other AG credential holder there this year.  To any of my Assemblies of God pastor friends who are reading this, you ought to consider attending next year’s Prayer Summit which will be held on the week before Thanksgiving in ‘08.  If you’d like more information, please let me know.

Now to that mountain of stuff I’ve got to attend to...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

coolness. glad you had a good time.