Sunday, January 13, 2008

JON IS A GENIUS!

My son Jon is a genius!

Our problem with the new Verizon FiOS setup is that when we go to
www.aol.com and try to check mail (which I can do at the library all the time) it will not allow us to do that and says we need a more up to date browser. We have tried to download one, but nothing is up to date enough. Initially, this was very frustrating and disappointing.

What Jon did instead is to go into our computer's AOL software and change all the settings to adjust for the Verizon high speed rather than dialup.  NOTE:  The Verizon tech. today tried to do that and COULD NOT.  The Verizon tech.  just couldn't understand or figure out how to do it!  I NEVER would have been able to , but Jon did, so I'm back in business!

One thing Jon is not sure of is, when Mary Ann cancels her paid AOL acct (I have a sep one at the church) will this affect the AOL software and make our signing on from home no longer possible?? We don't know, but at least for now, this works!

I'm feeling a lot better about this because it IS great to have high speed internet and to no longer have the phone line tied up when you're on-line, but I had been very disappointed that I could not just go to the AOL site and check my mail as I can do at the library.

I also SHOULD be able to start a Verizon e-mail acct, BUT it also requires a better browser than we have.
Sorry to bore you with all the details, but I'm so happy to have e-mail back!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bob,  how much does your son, Jon, charge for home visits?  I have a computer that works OK but is very slow and a printer that won't print colors, although I have just put a brand new color ink  cartridge in it the other day.

How lucky you are that you have someone at home who understands the complexities of this new technology.

Jennie