Wednesday, January 23, 2008

THIS ONE'S FOR POLITICAL JUNKIES...

“Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers.  For there is no power but of God:  the powers that be are ordained of God.” (Romans 13:1)

To the best of my memory, I’ve only posted 5 or 6 overtly political pieces on this blog in the almost two years that it has existed.  This one will be overtly political.  If you’re not a political junkie and/or a talk radio junkie, this will probably bore you to tears.  If you want to just stop reading now and “click” the blog site away, I won’t be offended!

I’ve been all over the political spectrum in my life.  My parents were each registered Democrats.  I voted for McGovern in 1972 (as an 18-year-old) and for Jimmy Carter in 1976.  My politics sharply shifted between 1976 and 1978...from being a moderate Democrat to being a conservative Republican.  I still consider myself a conservative, although I’m aware that many would label me a “moderate Republican” and, honestly, I suppose that would be a fair label for the Bob Baril of 2008.  I’ve mentioned before that I’m so tired of Michael Graham and Jay Severin downing John McCain in WTKK 96.9 talk radio in Boston.

To sound very Nixonian, Let me just say THIS about THAT:
It’s not that I hate Michael Graham or Jay Severin.  Michael Graham is easily the most entertaining host on WTKK and one of the most entertaining hosts in talk radio.  I really enjoy him and I probably agree with about 85% of what he has to say, but when it comes to the other 15%, boy, we can be worlds apart!  Jay is more intimidating and more cerebral than Michael is, and is an elitist.  I like Michael better than Jay, but I also have to admit that Jay is a brilliant man.  I fully agree with Jay only about 55% of the time, but I keep listening.

I know this will make Michael and Jay mad, but one would have to conclude they must want a Democrat to be elected in 2008.  Well, it WOULD be very good for their business, there’s no doubt about that.  In fact, should Hillary Clinton be elected, I suspect their already good ratings would increase.  I must make that conclusion because both Jay and Michael are dead against the most electable Republican, John McCain.

Jay particularly hits HARD the notion that “no REAL Republican would vote for McCain”.  Jay is in love with Mitt Romney.  Several years ago, on Howie Carr’s show on WRKO, Chris Wallace said of Mitt Romney, “He is an ENORMOUSLY ATTRACTIVE GUY!”  Howie ran that clip SO many times that I think it’s part of why Howie and Chris eventually had a falling out. (I don’t mean to sound like this is TMZ or something, but they did.)  Well, even though Jay is a great womanizer, I won’t be surprised if I tune in some day at 3 to hear him crying out in ecstasy, just like Chris Wallace, “He is an ENORMOUSLY ATTRACTIVE GUY!”

If I ever got through to Jay or Michael here is what I would tell them:
McCain would beat Hillary Clinton in a landslide.  That’s important.  Republicans are in serious trouble this year.  George W. Bush has some of the lowest approval ratings any President has EVER had.  People are sick of him and sick of the Republicans. 

Does anybody really think that the average middle-class independent voter is going to vote Republican this Fall.  Listen, they’re NOT.  There IS one guy they’ll vote for.  Yes, Jay, it’s the one, “The Boston Globe, The N.Y. Times, CBS, NBC, and ABC loves”, John McCain.

Well, the alternative is, someone other than McCain runs, and Hillary or Obama wins.

You can “flag” this one and see how I do, because here is how many states each of the major Republican contenders would carry against Hillary Clinton:

Mike Huckabee would carry 5 states.  He will never be the nominee.
Fred Thompson would carry 8 states.
Mitt Romney would carry 19 states, but he would not put together enough electoral votes to win.
Rudy Guliani would carry 24 states, but he would also not put together enough electoral votes to win.
John McCain would carry 41 states and win.

I know that sounds like a “pipe dream”.
Michael and Jay...think of “non-conservatives” you work with such as Hank Morse, Mike Barnicle, and Margery Egan.  Each of them would vote for McCain against Clinton and they’re typical of many independent middle-class Massachusetts voters.  Jim Braude would even “toy” with voting with McCain but he’d vote Democrat in the end.  I’ve lived here almost all my life.  McCain would carry Massachusetts.  Former Governor Mitt Romney would not.

Think about it.........

No comments: