Friday, May 2, 2008

THE BROOKE WHITE LESSON

“And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, and before the four beasts, and the elders: and no man could learn that song...” (Revelation 14:3)

This posting could get me in trouble with some people, but I’ve been disappointed with singer Brooke White from this year’s “American Idol” television show.  If you’ve never seen “American Idol” then you won’t understand and I would never have the space on this blog to explain it all.  But for those of you who ARE familiar with “American Idol” and have been watching this year, I wonder if you agree with me.

Back when they started out with the “Top 24” I really was impressed with Brooke White.  I voted for her several times during the first few weeks.  Brooke is pretty, humble, vulnerable, kind of sweet, and a very good singer.  She’s also not a bad guitar player or piano player.  Brooke White has talent.  Brooke White DOES have the potential to be a really big star.  Unfortunately, Brooke White kind of self-destructed and single handedly made sure she would NOT be the American Idol for 2008.  What did her in ?   To a small degree lack of confidence did her in, but the BIG thing that KILLED her is her EMOTIONS.

I realize some people will argue, “She made it to NUMBER 5 out of thousands of people....what do you want?!”

Indeed she DID make it to Number 5 and that IS a great accomplishment.  However, the facts that Brooke had the potential to make it to Number 2 or even Number 1 this year, and that she REALLY should have been gone two or three weeks ago is why I’m writing this.

Many years ago, Dr. James Dobson published a book entitled, “Emotions, Can You Trust Them?”  It’s a great book which I highly recommend.  (Incidentally, the answer is “NO” you can’t trust your emotions.)

One of Brooke’s songs this week was a Monkees’ hit which Neil Diamond wrote:  “I’m a Believer”.  Simon Cowell called her performance a “nightmare”.  It really was.  It looked like something from a Saturday Night Live comedy sketch.  The other was Neil Diamond’s “I Am I Said”.  (It was Neil Diamond week on “Idol”.)  Mr. Diamond recommended she change the lyric from “New York” to “Arizona”, so I’ll blame him for this, but it really sounded stupid.  How can you be contrasting Arizona and L.A. as “two shores”? It doesn’t work.  It was no surprise that Brooke got the fewest telephoned in votes and so was eliminated on Wednesday night.  Upon learning of her departure, she burst into sobbing...hugging another contestant, and acting as though her mother had died.  She attempted to sing “I Am I Said” and it was, well, a nightmare.

I know you may be thinking I sound like Simon Cowell and I’m very cruel, and that I have no empathy for Brooke.  That’s where you’re wrong.  In my own way, in life, I’ve been a lot like Brooke White.  I’m a pretty talented guy...oh, not so much with singing, but I’m an excellent public speaker and teacher.  Sometimes, I’ve allowed myself to be intimidated in certain situations and I’ve kind of “folded” due to lack of confidence.  Far worse, I’m a VERY emotional person.  NO, I’m not usually going to burst into public sobbing, but I’ve been known to make life altering decisions because of emotion and impulse.  I’ve also been known to say and do things which I forget about 5 minutes later, and yet, which have damaged my public image and have “dogged” me for years.  I do understand Brooke.  She reminded me a little too much of myself!

At 53, I’ve mellowed and I’ve learned a lot of life’s lessons.  My wife tells me I have changed for the better and that I handle a lot of situations with a lot more grace, patience, and class than I ever did a few years ago.  Believe me, I DO still have my moments when emotions overwhelm me.  I guess you could say I’m in “recovery” with my thing of being ruled by emotions.  Like anyone in recovery it’s “One day at a Time”!  I just wish I knew at 33 or even 23 what I now know at 53, because it would have saved ma a lot of pain, disappointment and heartache in life.

So, in the one in a million chance that Brooke White ever reads this:  Brooke, get into your own “recovery” program.  Paula is right.  NEVER stop a song and start it over again.  And Simon is right...this week was a nightmare.  You have a GIFT.  You’re a great singer.  You have a lot of strong attributes.  Remember that.  And whatever you do, DON’T let those emotions control you ‘cause they’ll destroy you.   And for anyone else (like Brooke or me) who has those problems with out of control emotions and/or lack of confidence, I hope you’ll learn some lessons, too!  

No comments: