Sunday, June 22, 2008

ALAN'S AUTO A/C TIP! (extra entry)

We attended a wedding on Saturday and it was SO good to have the AIR CONDITIONING in our 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan repaired just in time so that we could have A/C as we journeyed in our best clothing to a wedding!

The A/C COMPRESSOR in the minivan had burned out a few months ago.  It was kind of an expensive job, but it is real nice to have A/C back in the Dodge minivan!

Today, my friend Alan Hawksley told me a tip that a mechanic friend of his told him about:

NEVER leave the A/C "on" when you shut your car off.  I have typically been in the habit of doing that.  I'd just leave the A/C on.  I'd turn the car off with the A/C on, and the A/C would be on when I started the car up.  According to Alan's mechanic that's very hard on the compressor and the compressor will have a much shorter life that way!

About 30 seconds before you shut your car off, turn your A/C off!

Then, AFTER you restart the car, turn the A/C back on.  The COMPRESSOR will last much longer.
Wish I'd known that but now I'm passing it on to you!

No comments: