Saturday, June 28, 2008

DAVID ONE AND DAVID TWO!

“Some said, This is he: others said, He is like him: but he said, I am he.” (John 9:9)

Truth is stranger than fiction!

If you read the posting entitled, “Thirty Years Since Ed Keefer”, AND the comments from readers, you read a comment from Dave Wedge, reporter from the Boston Herald.  In the “Ed Keefer” piece I stated that I worked a summer job in the 1970s with Dave Wedge, the Boston Herald reporter.  David the reporter posted the comment to say he is NOT THAT David Wedge!  The David Wedge I’d worked with was a B.U. student.  The David Wedge that works for the Boston Herald went to B.C. and never worked at Draper Mills in Canton!

You can’t imagine how weird it was for me to read that on Friday morning!

I HAVE seen Boston Herald reported Dave Wedge when he has appeared on Emily Rooney’s “Greater Boston” public affairs show on Boston’s PBS television station WGBH channel 2.  What makes this weird is that if you did one of those “America’s Most Wanted” style computerized age enhancement things on a photo of the Dave Wedge that I knew in the 1970s, it would come out to look remarkably like Dave Wedge the Boston Herald reporter!  When I saw Dave Wedge on television, I “knew” it was the guy I’d worked with.  He had the same FACE...same eyes, nose, mouth, the same basic look!  The David Wedge I saw on channel 2 had the same smile as the Dave Wedge I’d worked with!  The Dave Wedge I’d worked with was somewhat soft-spoken but well-spoken and articulate.  That’s also true of the reporter, who (as far as I was concerned) had pretty much the same voice!  

In a court room type situation, I’d have testified that the David Wedge I’d seen on channel 2 as a mature man was the same guy I’d worked with as a young man.  Now, if the Herald reporter had looked like Bill Cosby or Danny DeVito, I’d have known differently, but THEY LOOK ALIKE!  

I felt a little foolish that I’d said I’d worked with the Boston Herald reporter Dave Wedge years ago, and I hadn’t.  IF Ed Keefer is alive, he’d certainly yell at me and belittle me for that one!  In really giving this some careful thought, I do realize the Dave Wedge I’d seen on television looks TALLER than the Dave Wedge I’d worked with, and maybe that should have tipped me off that they might not be the same, but when you’ve got the same face and the same voice...well, you just think they’re the same!

They say everybody has a double.  Well, Dave Wedge of the Boston  Herald has a double who EVEN HAS THE SAME NAME!  I hope I haven’t embarrassed him, but somehow I don’t think I have!

Yes, for all of you fans of the Dr. Suess book, “The Cat in the Hat” who remember “Thing One and Thing Two”, truth is stranger than fiction!  There is a David Wedge ONE and a David Wedge TWO!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if this woman looks like me or not.  Years ago I was dating a young man and he was having a conversation with someone he worked with.  They each had said they were dating some one with my first name.  They looked at each other and both asked "what's her last name."  They both said my last name at the same time!  Well you can imagine their confusion.  Turns out the other "Suzanne"  was from a different town but just the next town over.  I have always wondered what she looks like.

My cousin David, in Florida was pulled over by police and arrested a few years ago.  They had a description of a "David"  with the same last name and thought he was it.  Turns out there was another David with not only the same name but when my cousin looked at the photo he could not believe how much this guy looked like him!  The police were very apologetic, but having seen the photo, David was not angry at all.  He knew he hadn't committed a crime and things would be worked out!

Anonymous said...

that's pretty weird. maybe it IS the same guy but he is pretending not to be...