Wednesday, January 13, 2010

PERSONAL CONNECTION TO HAITI

"For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always." (Matthew 26:11)

I was shocked to tune in the Channel 25 news yesterday in the early evening and learn that they had "Breaking News" of a magnitude 7.3 earthquake at Port-Au-Prince, Haiti. Later reports indicate it was actually a 7.0 quake with several strong aftershocks. Perhaps you've seen photos on-line or on television of Port-Au-Prince. It's DEVASTAED! The relief effort that will be needed is mind boggling. It will likely take 20 years to truly rebuild.

I have been to Haiti twice on ministry trips; one in 1990 and one in 1991. On those trips, I traveled to remote villages on Haiti's southern peninsula. My daughter Amy (a pediatric nurse who lives in Missouri) has been to Haiti twice, most recently last Spring. She is scheduled to go there again in May. I heard from Amy today. She's heard from the small town of Grand Goave where she worked in a children's home and medical clinic, that the place has suffered very severe damage and casualties. I am familiar with Grand Goave. We passed through there by vehicle on the way to the very remote villages. As I recall, Grand Goave is about an hour and a half's drive from Port-Au-Prince. It's actually VERY near the quake's epicenter.

Selfishly, I was very thankful Amy was not in Haiti at the time of the quake.

Haiti is the poorest country in the western hemisphere. I know there will always be those people who ask, "Why would God allow this to happen there?" And the only answer I can give is, "I don't know". In this life, I don't think we'll ever know the answers to such difficult questions.

This IS an opportunity for outpourings of relief from the U.S. and developed world which I trust will be forthcoming. Haiti certainly needs our prayers!

3 comments:

Amy said...

the whole team of us that went last may (from cox, a college in IN, and a college in KS) have rallied together and are all praying for Haiti and that thru this they will come to know Christ. In the latest email they told us that there are thousands of people on the grounds of the mission and they held a service there last night to share Christ to the people there. I know there will still be TONS of work to do when we get there in may, but part of me wishes I was there now to help.

Bob Baril said...

Amy,

God's timing is perfect and you will be there at the right time.
ALSO, the old Christian Life Center Walpole church had sent several construction teams to build the World Harvest For Christ
Children's Home right next door to the PAP airport. I am sad to have learned today that the children's home has collapsed. So much prayer and help is needed for Haiti right now!

Debbie said...

My husband's parents attended that school. They quit after one year and got married in 1949.