Monday, January 25, 2010

THE PERSONAL TOUCH...

“Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king.” (I Peter 2:17)

On a pastoral visit to an elderly couple today I got an insight on still ANOTHER reason why Scott Brown attracted voters...and in many cases, attracted demographic groups that typically do not vote Republican. Nick and Connie (not their real names) are each over 80 and live in Scott Brown’s old State Senate District - just a short distance outside Framingham which is in a different State Senate District. Nick and Connie did not make it out to church service on Sunday. For the elderly, winter is a tough time. They tend to get sick more often, and even when they’re feeling well, both walking and driving on icy and snowy roads will deter them from coming. After lunch I took a quick ride to Nick and Connie's home, bringing along a cassette tape of the service for them to be able to listen to.

I know from visits to the elderly that it’s not unusual for people over 80 to be still in their pajamas at 1:00 in the afternoon, and they were. But they were delighted that I stopped by. In the forty-five minutes I was in their home we discussed everything from the Haiti earthquake, to my daughter Rachel’s upcoming graduation from college, to the weather, and to Scott Brown’s election. They brought up Scott Brown’s victory which each of them was ecstatic about.

“I don’t like to get out, but we made sure Diane (their daughter) got us to the polls,” said Connie. Then she added the reason they were so excited about Scott Brown: “Several times as State Senator, he came to our Senior Center and served us meals,” she said excitedly. “I thought, ‘well, this doesn’t seem like a Senator, he’s such a NICE man’!” That “nice young man” made such an impression on them over the past few years that when he announced for the U.S. Senate seat, they were determined to get out and vote for him.

“The girl was nice, too,” added Nick.

Connie quickly added, “Yes, she’s nice, but when I heard the things she stood for, I wanted Scott Brown all the more.” She expressed legitimate fear of losing Medicare if President Obama’s health plan were to pass.

In his usual excitement, Nick added, “His DAUGHTER called us!” Yes, they’d gotten a “robocall” from Ayla Brown, and perhaps they’re the American Idol girl’s oldest fans!

The story of Scott Brown connecting with and making an impression on these senior citizens reminded me of a story I read many years ago about Anne Morrow Lindbergh. When little Anne was only 6, Presidential Candidate Calvin Coolidge was visiting at her parents home. Anne had a bandage on her finger which Mr. Coolidge had asked about. After he’d left, several of the adults made some negative comments about Calvin Coolidge.

Little Anne immediately piped up, “I LIKED Mr. Coolidge,” and added, “he was the only one who asked me about my sore finger.”

Those little personal touches do go a long way in life!

1 comment:

Sue Metcalf said...

Jesus is like that, too. He cares about all the big stuff in our lives, but what often blesses me the most is that He cares about our "sore fingers" -- all the little hurts and worries and bothers of everyday life.

And as the Body of Christ, we are to do the same for each other, to truly care about all the little things that sometimes drag us down quicker than the mountains in our paths. Thank you for reminding me today that God calls us to reach out, and take time to listen, and find a way to tangibly care about someone else.

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for Me.'"
-- Matthew 25:40