Thursday, October 12, 2006

LESSON IN A BICKFORD'S PARKING LOT



“By faith Enoch ... had this testimony, that he pleased God.”  (from Hebrews 11:5)

One of the problems with pastoring the same church for almost twenty years is that you only have so many stories and illustrations  from your life;  you end up using them over and over again.  This story has been told by me many times, but it has a great moral to it.  As I was driving along Route 135 Wednesday morning I thought of it, and I’ve decided to share it with you.

Back in March of 1982, I was an assistant pastor at Christian Life Center on Route 27 in Walpole.  Sadly, that church no longer exists.  At that time, it was quite a going evangelical Protestant congregation.  A large group from the church was going on a two-week missions trip to Haiti.  The main thing they would be doing is construction work on a future orphanage in Port-Au-Prince.  I was single at the time and had agreed to “house sit” for a couple who was going on the trip.  That couple actually stayed at their friends’ home on the night before they were to leave, and I began my stay at their small house in Sharon.  I knew the Missions team would be leaving from Walpole for Logan Airport VERY early on Saturday morning.  I made it a point to set the clock to get up and shower quite early so I could get to the church and be part of the “Send-off” for the Haiti Missions team.  I then  planned to have breakfast at Bickford’s on Route 1 at the Sharon/Walpole line, and then get on with ministry-related plans for the day.  

I arrived at the church early and had a chance to speak with most of the people going on the trip and to wish them well.  We also had a big prayer time for the Missions team.   The Senior Pastor was Dave Milley, a “type A” leader in his early forties.  Today, after having encountered some difficulties in his life, Milley has mellowed quite a bit, but in those days, he could be pretty blunt and harsh.  Dave Milley kept pressuring me to come into Logan Airport to see the group off.  I really didn’t want to do that.  It would eat up at least a couple of hours and I really didn’t see the point of it.  I HAD come to the church in Walpole to wish them well and see them off, and I’d done exactly that.   Dave Milley, however, kept bugging me and bugging me to go to Logan Airport.  Ultimately, the team got into several cars, and began filing down the church driveway to Route 27.  Dave Milley’s Lincoln (driven by a church member) was the last car.  Suddenly, the Lincoln left the formation and pulled up into the circular drive in front of the church building where I was standing.  The passenger window rolled down.  An annoyed Dave Milley condescendingly yelled,

“Are you going into Logan Airport or WHAT?!”

I replied, “No, I told you, that’s O.K. I’m not.”

He waved his hand to me in disgust and yelled, “Oh, go back to bed!!”

The Lincoln drove off.  There I was, alone, quiet, and feeling very unappreciated.

Sadly, I got into my friends’ car (they let me drive their “cool” Mercury Capri while they were away) and drove to Bickford’s.  I sadly and slowly got out of the car and began walking toward the restaurant.  Suddenly I got a strong internal IMPRESSION.  It was as if something was saying to me, “What are you upset about?”.   And it happened again, “What are you upset about?”

This may sound strange to some, but I knew God was trying to get my attention.  In my mind, I sadly and quickly rehearsed what had just happened and why I was so sad.

Then, I “heard” another line:

“Did I tell you to go into Logan Airport?”  I was numb.
“Did I tell you to go into Logan Airport?”.

Meekly, I thought “no”.

“NO!! So what are you upset about?  Isn’t the most important thing that you are where I want you to be and doing what I want you to be doing?!”

Immediately, my countenance changed.  I broke into a smile and confidently walked into Bickford’s.  Never have I enjoyed French Toast and bacon so much!

In my entire Christian life, that is ONE OF THE MOST SIGNIFICANT EVENTS THAT EVER HAPPENED TO ME!  Almost twenty-five years later, I still think about it a lot.  So many times, well-meaning people want to manipulate you into doing well-meaning things.  But the most important thing is being where you’re supposed to be and doing what you’re supposed to do.  The most important thing is PLEASING GOD!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That time was special...we got engaged during that week that the Haiti team was away.  I will always cherish that memory.

Anonymous said...

eeeeew mushy engagement memories....