Tuesday, November 7, 2006

JERKS

"And he said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man."  (Mark 7:20)

This is Election Day.  It's also my sister's birthday.  Ironically, Primary Day (September 19) was MY birthday!  I had originally intended to write about Election Day- and I'll touch on it at the end- but I first want to reflect upon two experiences with jerks that I had recently.  I realize that many people consider politicians to be jerks, and many of them are, but neither of these incidents featured a politician.

Jerk Number One was encountered on Saturday.  A group of us drove out to Westfield State College to see "Into the Woods" a sort of bizarre, symbolic musical featuring virtually every European fairy tale you can think of.  My daughter Rachel, a Sophomore at W.S.C. had a leading role in the play.  The cast did a great job.  The Jerk was an overzealous parent in the audience.  This guy had a camcorder on a tripod set up right in the middle of the audience.  Now, a limited number of people ARE allowed to tape the performances as long as permission is granted ahead of time.  In fact, my son taped the performance- from the back row where he would not disturb anyone.  My sister (today's birthday girl) could not believe the rudeness of Tripod Man who stood there videotaping, blocking a number of people's views, and acting like a total buffoon.  She actually went to some of the students who were in charge of the production and complained.  Unfortunately, no 20ish college kid was going to tell the 45ish buffoon to cease and desist.  Technically, he DID have permission to record the show, but he lacked the grace and manners that my son who is half his age had.  My sister was pretty steamed, but I thought the guy was SUCH a jerk that at one point it struck me so funny and I laughed so hard I almost got sick!

Jerk Number Two was encountered Monday morning at McDonald's on Route 30 in Framingham.  No, he wasn't an employee.  He was a customer.  I've seen this guy around town.  He is at least 80 and drives a huge, white older model Lincoln.  He also works as a greeter at one of those mega department stores.  At the counter, the guy started yelling at the employees like a madman!  Ever see the film "Falling Down"?  It was actually very much like that.  Thank God, there was no gun!  If there was there might have been some fatalities.   Donna, the manager of that McDonald's could not be nicer or more customer friendly.  He threatened her and yelled at her in a manner you'd imagine a Nazi guard speaking to a Jewish prisoner or a 1950s southern  white racist sheriff dressing down a young black man.  She told him, "If you don't like it her, go someplace else."  I don't blame her, but it was like throwing flames on a fire.  I felt bad for her.  It was really awful for her and everyone in McDonald's yesterday morning.

I know they say, "Things run in threes".  I just hope I don't have to experience another such jerk TOO soon!

Now, back to Election Day, I know a lot of politicians ARE jerks.  But there are some good ones, too.  I am planning to vote today.  I expect most of the people I'll vote for to lose.  I don't vote to "pick a winner" like so many do.  I vote for the person I really want even if that person is at 1% in the polls.  Back in 1990 I voted for Len Umina for Governor and he was pretty low in the polls, so that will just give you an idea of what I'm talking about!  Regardless of how things turn out, I'm always pleased to go and cast my ballot.  The poll workers in Framingham are usually very nice, but if there are any jerks that give them a hard time, I'll write about that!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admiarable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things. (Phillipians 4:8)

Unfortunately, there will always be jerks. However, I want to reflect on the good people who also surround us. Yet who often don't get recognized or discussed as often as jerks.

One person I would like others to know about is Mario Russo, an elderly man who currently works at the Men's Department in Macy's at the Solomon Pond Mall.  My husband needed a suit to wear to a recent family wedding.

Mario came to our rescue serving us promptly and efficiently with a cheeful demeanor. He not only outfitted my husband. But went above and beyond by attempting to recommend a tailor in our locality so that the suit could be hemmed.

We asked Mario for assistance with a nice suit and tie. He was happy to point us to the right location and let us know of an equally good sale in the men's department. And when the bill came in there was a discrepency between the price of the suit and the price quoted to us on our receipt. We came in to see Mario who was only to pleased to see us return. He settled our account quickly and with no problem.

When all was said and done, we asked Mario how we could help him. He said that our transaction was complete, and that he was pleased to do his job and do it well. In this single transacation, he made both of us a couple of very satisfied, long term Macy's customers.

So if you or anyone you know are looking to purchase a Man's Suit, try Macy's at the Solomon Pond Mall and ask for Mario.
 

Anonymous said...

ooo... dad's blowing' off steam....

the world's full of jerks... sorry 'bout the tripod guy... but i hope that didn't take your attention away from the play...

:-)