Wednesday, December 27, 2006

"THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME?"

"To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:"  (Ecclesiastes 3:1)

I know Andy Williams sings about Christmas that, "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year".  I really don't think that it is.  I'm actually looking forward to New Year's Day.  A few days ago, a female young adult told me she'd like to put Christmas decorations up in June and have them up for six months or more.  Being a clean and neat freak, I actually enjoy putting the stuff away!  I like when a new year starts.  I like to close the door on the previous year and get a fresh start.  Loads of dead Christmas trees laying on the sidewalks of Framingham waiting for those "special pick-ups" are a welcome sight.  I just plain like that start of the new year!

On the night of the day after Christmas, I received an e-mail from a Member telling me essentially that she's leaving the church immediately.  That just doesn't "make" your Christmas week!  I've said it many times before and now I'll say it again.  Please don't EVER leave a church that way...no "hit and run e-mails" or "hit and run messages on answering machines" or any of that stuff.  Make an appointment to see that pastor, and TALK to him.  If it's painful for you, well, think how it is for that pastor, and, well, it's all part of the package, so to speak.

A couple of weeks ago, our church building failed a surprise plumbing commercial plumbing inspection from the Town.  We have to have an expensive plumbing job done today or we'd have our water shut off.  Please don't ask me to explain it.  I'm a pastor and not a plumber. But I'll be spending the day today at the church building with the water shut off and guys yelling things like, "Hey Harry, have you got the three-sixteenths wrench?!"  Well, it will make me thankful for most of the time HAVING running water!  (Note: I AM thankful the church has an account with a plumbing company which we can pay over two or three months!)

Yesterday I "started" a cold.  I'm popping COLD-EZE (which, incidentally, really DO help!).  I have to try to get "tons" of work done in a very short period of time.

On a happy note, my 20th Anniversary as pastor is going to be observed on January 7.  Lots of friends of mine and of the church's are coming.  I'm very much looking forward to that, and it's helping me cope with a (frankly)lousy week!

No comments: