Tuesday, May 20, 2008

LETTER TO SENATOR KENNEDY

“For God so loved the world, that he gave  his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” (John 3:16)

What are the odds that Senator Edward Kennedy would ever have occasion to read my blog?  I don’t know, maybe one in ten million or something like that.  What would be the results if I tried to send Senator Kennedy an e-mail or a letter by U.S. mail?  Well, somebody from his staff would read it and send me a form letter.  Big deal.  But if I could write Senator Edward Kennedy a letter, and if he could truly read it, this is what it would say:

Dear Senator Kennedy,

I’m writing this on Tuesday evening, May 20.  I’m surprised.  This afternoon I heard the news of your diagnosis, and it made me feel very sad.  I’ve never met you in person.  I’ve never seen you in person.  I’m a guy who tends to try to write letters and make phone calls to famous people, but the thought has never even remotely crossed my mind to try to get in touch with you...until now.  

As soon as Jay Severin opened his show on WTKK this afternoon, speaking of you as an adversary, and yet obviously moved with deep sorrow about your health, I realized I was missing SOMETHING.  I flipped the dial to WBZ and learned of the diagnosis.  I’m so sorry.

I’m a registered Republican.  I’m pretty “right of center” on most issues.  I don’t think I’ve ever voted for you.  I did vote for Jimmy Carter for President in 1976, but I don’t think I voted for you even on that day.  I’ve laughed when Rush Limbaugh and Howie Carr played the parodies of you and the clips of embarrassing moments... you know, that convention where you are introducing the Democratic candidate for Governor saying, “Will ya help me, will ya aaoougggghhhmmmmrrrr?” (Whatever “aaoougggghhhmmmmrrrr” means!)  I probably disagree with 75% of what you stand for politically...maybe even more than that.  That’s why I’m so surprised.

Being a Massachusetts native....being the son of Roman Catholic, Democrat parents... yes, whether I want to admit it or not, there’s some kind of connection I feel. There’s so much more I could write, it would probably take 23 pages, and I don’t think either one of us are up for that!  I’ll try to keep it brief.

I watched “Greater Boston” tonight.  Peter Meade said you’ll get through this by “being a fighter” and holding the whole family together.  Senator Kennedy, that’s all well and good, but that’s probably a huge form of denial.  People are praying for you.  You need to focus on Ted Kennedy and Ted Kennedy’s health right now.  Ironically, this past Sunday night, I preached on “What the Bible Says About Healing”. It says quite a bit.  There’s spiritual healing, there’s emotional healing, there’s healing in relationships, there’s deliverance from oppression, and there’s physical healing.  Honestly, I think you need all of the above.

God loves you.  Don’t be surprised at the wonderful things He will do for you at this time.  One of the things I least liked about you is the way you treated and spoke to John Ashcroft at his confirmation hearings.  Contrary to what you may think, Ashcroft is not some cruel, Fascist oppressor.  In fact, Ashcroft is a warm and wonderful Christian man from a wonderful Christian family.  I don’t know him personally, but he is a guy I have seen in person.  I suspect he’s praying for you now, and I suspect he bears you no ill will.  If you were to contact  him, I think you’d be surprised at how he would minister to you.  But whether you do that or not, many love you and are praying for you.  Please don’t close the door on anything God may want to do in your life.

What I’m feeling tonight is what millions of people are feeling.  Many are your political allies, but many others are your political adversaries...yet they look beyond those issues and feel genuine compassion for Senator Edward Kennedy THE MAN- the soul.

If you’ll seek the Lord at this difficult time, you will not be disappointed.


In Christ’s love,
BOB BARIL

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bob, what a lovely, lovely letter!  How I wish that somehow he could read it.  I too disagree with just about every liberal policy that Sen. Kennedy has proposed and succeeded in passing.  Yet when I heard that he was gravely ill with a malignant brain tumor, that was all forgotten and I prayed for him there on the spot.  Having gone through my own serious illness recently, I understand how he and his family must be feeling right now.  It just goes to show you that even the most wealthy, the most powerful people in the world are not exempt from being brought down by life threatening illnesses.  All the money in the world is worthless under those circumstances.  If God chooses to heal him, and I hope He does, or the doctors succeed in removing the tumor by surgery and Mr. Kennedy returns to health, I pray that he'll reach out to the only One Who really matters when our health fails us and we stand at the brink of eternity.

Jennie Maroney