Saturday, March 21, 2009

A BOTCHED JOKE?

“Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh!” (Matthew 18:7)

In signing on to AOL today, I noticed a news story stating that Alaska Governor Sarah Palin is offended at the remark President Obama made on late night television a few nights ago. It was one of those “shot heard round the world” deals, except that the “shot” was a verbal shot at the Special Olympics. Asked about his skills in using the White House bowling alley, the President said he might qualify for the Special Olympics. That’s one of those lines like Senator Kerry’s “botched joke” about being “stuck in Iraq” which can cause one to go from being a hero to being a zero.

I suppose I should give my opinion about Obama’s “Special Olympics” faux pas, but the truth is, as I’m writing and thinking about it, I’m not sure what it is. I did not vote for President Obama, and I disagree with him at least 50% of the time. That said, I can’t believe he REALLY disdains mentally retarded people or mentally retarded athletes, in particular. On the other hand, Governor Palin’s little boy had Down Syndrome. I can certainly understand her dismay, as that comment hit “close to home” for her.

This business of offending or not offending people can be a veritable mine field! I remember back in high school that Mrs. Kane, my Sophomore English teacher made a crack about the character Maxwell Smart on “Get Smart” who was played by actor Don Adams.

“When I see him, all I can think of is ‘JERK’!” she said.

What she didn’t know is that Mr. Adams’ neice Sharon Mason was one of the kids in the class! (No kidding! I also went to high school with relatives of actor Dustin Hoffman.) In a deadly serious and annoyed tone of voice, Sharon annouced, “He’s my UNCLE”. I think poor Mrs. Kane wanted to fall into the “Cone of Silence” after that one!

If I had a dollar for every person I’ve offended by something I’ve said, I think I’d be wealthy! My wife thinks I’m WAY too careless in my speech and WAY too inclinded to offend people. So, I guess as I think about it, I DO empathize with the President (and poor Mrs. Kane). My old boss D.C.M. used to say he enjoyed hearing me tell stories because I would impersonate each person I was referring to in the story. (That’s true...I DO that.) I remember one time impersonating this lady who was always taking big gaping breaths of air as she talked...like “Stevie” on the Malcolm in the Middle show. What I DIDN’T know was that the lady was a victim of lung cancer and that one of her lungs had been surgically removed! Another time (this WAS when I was in my 20s) I commented to a friend that somebody’s kid was kind of odd looking. I really thought she was just a “normal” but odd looking kid.

My friend looked at me HORRIFIED and said, “That child is BADLY DEFORMED!” hmmmmmmm, I’m glad Governor Palin didn’t hear that comment!

Certainly, I really DON’T advocate malicioulsy making fun of people! If someone had made fun of my father’s Alzheimer’s Disease, I don’t think I would have found that humorous. A friend died of A.L.S. a couple of years ago. Somehow, I don’t think a joke about somebody being paralyzed in a wheelchair would be all that funny, either. YET, I’m the guy who HAS at times made remarks akin to the President’s “mis-speaking” and frankly, SOMETIMES it’s actually led to people being SO offended that they left the church. No kidding. I hate having to THINK about EVERYTHING I say, on the one hand, and yet I REALLY don’t want to say things that hurt people on the other hand.

Another news item this week involved a “remote broadcast” that Boston’s 96.9 WTKK had at the Wilbur Theater for St. Patrick’s Day. It was the 10th Annual “Kiss Me I’m Imus” bash. You may know that when it comes to saying offensive things, Don Imus not only makes ME look like the late Fred Rogers of Mr. Rodgers’ Neighborhood; he even makes Rush Limbaugh look like Fred Rodgers of Mr. Rodgers’ Neighborhood! Off mike, and shortly after the start of the event, Imus called local talk show host Jay Severin over to him, used pretty harsh profanity, and told him to “get off the stage or I’ll shoot you!” Severin has made quite an issue of the incident, treating it as a serious threat. Imus says, he was “only joking”. On the one hand, if you go to a Don Imus event, that’s the kind of comment you CAN expect will be made. On the other hand, IS it ever appropriate to joke about shooting someone? And, what about when Ronald Reagan said, “The bombs start falling in five minutes”? Was that OK?

I guess just by LIVING offenses will come, as Jesus said! AND, “me thinks” that on the one hand we’ve got to all be more forgiving or we’ll ALL end up suing each other; and on the other hand, maybe my wife is right, and maybe the President and I DO need to think a bit more about what we’re saying and how our words might offend someone...

No comments: