Thursday, April 9, 2009

VOTING FOR THE VOLUNTEERS

"But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8)

I was one of the fewer than 4% of registered voters to vote in the Framingham Town election this past Tuesday. I would have completely forgotten about it if I hadn't gone out after supper to do an errand. Suddenly, the thought hit me, "Isn't this a voting day?" After leaving Walgreen's, I headed over to McCarthy School where Precinct 13 votes. I was the ONLY voter there at 7:15 p.m. Most of the positions were uncontested. I voted for a few folks I know (directly or indirectly). When I turned in my ballot, the female poll worker told me I was only the 38th person who had been in to vote that day. Today's MetroWest Daily News has an article about the low turnout. It speculated that those who DID vote chose to do so to make a statement that they support free elections and the whole concept of voting. I guess maybe that's one reason I voted, but the main reason was to say "thank you" to the volunteers.

I am amazed by the commitment these people make to our community. If you ever watch a Selectmen's meeting, a Town Meeting session, or a Planning Board meeting on Cable TV, you'll see what I mean. I realize these programs don't do well in the ratings! My own family groans when I put one of these Town sessions on, and they insist I change the channel! Thus, I usually end up watching this stuff alone. I became interested in watching the Planning Board meetings a few years ago when Great Brook Valley Health Care was proposing building a large facility adjacent to our church building. It always struck me how alert and energized and knowledgeable and well-spoken the Planning Board memebers were- most of whom had worked a "real job" that day and were conducting a meeting late in the evening. One night around 11, some angry woman in the audience got up and lambasted the Planning Board members. They handled the situation with total grace and class. I was so impressed that I sent them a card with a note thanking them for their service to Framingham. I got a nice reply from Planning Board member Sue Bernstein. Most of these positions pay nothing monetarily. I know in some towns, Selectmen get a stipend of around $1000 a year. I don't know if that's the case in Framingham. Even so, it's the voluntary hard work and sacrifice of many dedicated ordinary people that makes our community work. I know some will complain and say our community ISN'T working, but if you feel that way, YOU should run for Town Meeting Member or for some other position.

It's also volunteers who largely determine the success or failure of non-profit organizations, especially churches. If there were no lay volunteers, our church would close immediately. Most pastors lament that 20% of the people in their churches do 80% of the work. I'm not sure how that statistic works out at our church. I'd say we do better than average, but once again, it's committed volunteers who make or break our churches and our society.

If you're mostly a couch potato, I hope you'll think about volunteering for some good cause! Then, I hope you won't just THINK about it, but I hope you'll DO it!

I was thinking today about the ultimate volunteer. The ultimately volunteer is the Lord Jesus Christ. He did not have to be born and grow up to die for our sins. He could have said, "Forget it- I'm not going to do that. Why should I?" And, in fact, He'd have had every right as the Second Person of the Trinity to say that! Instead, he chose to be born into this world for us (See John chapter 1 and Philippians chapter 2) and chose to give His all for us. In Gethsemane, He struggled with the cost He'd have to pay, but out of love for the Heavenly Father, and for US, He went through with it! That's something to think about on this Holy Week!

Back in my early years at First Assembly of God of Framingham, there was an elderly man named Frank who used to be one of our ushers. Frank died at least ten years ago of Alzheimer's Disease, but twenty years ago, he was a 79-year-old usher. I used to think that maybe all the standing he had to do was too much for him. One time I asked him about it. Frank replied, "After all the Lord has done for me, it's the LEAST thing I can do for Him!"

Yes, thank God for volunteers with good hearts who serve faithfully where and when they're needed!

No comments: