Monday, July 19, 2010

POLL : KIND OF A FLOP !

Back around the time I was around 14-years-old there was a top 40 song called "Kind of a Drag". Well, the poll I attempted which was inspired by "Ned's" questions and comments was "Kind of a Flop"!

"Ned" contacted me after I'd posted that piece about the poll and said the questions I posed were actually NOT the questions he'd wanted posed for the poll. I re-read his e-mail to me, and found that was true, so I did all you can to in a situation like that: I apologized, and he was O.K. with the apology.

I certainly didn't expect 200 people or even 100 people to participate in the poll, but I thought I'd get at least 10. In fact, I got 3! There was 1 "Yes" and 2 voted "No".
So, I'm officially putting the lid on that!

When you write a blog and do a lot of e-mailing, you can manage to write and distribute some things which are huge successes and some which are huge failures. This one was a huge failure. In retrospect, if I had it to over again, I would not have "done" the poll, and I probably would not even have posted the piece entitled, "Overwhelmed ?"

I'm no Thomas Edison...not even CLOSE! But it's said that Thomas Edison had thousands of failures before he came up with a successful incandescent lamp (the "light bulb"). I'm also no Colonel Sanders, but he had many miserably failed business ventures before he started Kentucky Fried Chicken at age 66.

So, I hope I'll take away from the experience the importance of being a little more thoughtful and wise about what I write and distribute and what I don't! Hope you "guys" will all be patient and understanding and will keep checking out the blog!

2 comments:

clotrip said...

This is why polling is such a big industry. The answers you get are highly dependent on exactly how the question is worded, leading to lies, damn lies and statistics. Also sending an email is way more work than most people will do in response to a question, unless that question has personal importance.

Bob Baril said...

Yeah, clotrip, this definitely proves you're right about that! Thanks for your comment!