Monday, March 21, 2011

WARMING UP TO WEBSTER

"...Behold, I make all things new..." (from Revelation 21:5)

It has now been over two weeks since the move to Webster. Many of you know that after living in Framingham for twenty-four years and being involved in the Framingham community, this was a difficult move for me. We're still working in Framingham. The drive is over forty miles one way so "it's a trip". But I'm beginning to see there ARE good aspects to this. Now, when I am home, I really feel like I'm in a different world and I can relax.

I went with a friend to a Webster restaurant on Sunday evening. In fact, Lic's Restaurant is only three doors down from where I live. Lic's is very much a "family" type place. It's a typical middle-class independent restaurant- the type that was very common fifty years ago and is almost extinct today. The food was homestyle and very good. The service was good. The prices were AMAZING! Let's put it this way- 1985 prices! I don't know how they can make any money that way but the value was great.

I loved the way Framingham was a rural community, an urban community, and a suburban community. You don't find that combination very often. Amazingly, Webster is the same way. Parts of Webster are quite urban- reminds me of Woonsocket, RI. Parts are suburban (like where I live). Parts are very rural, like where my friend Tony lives. I took a long walk on Sunday afternoon. I live only a stone's throw from the entrance of Webster Lake. It's a beautiful park and recreation area. I enjoyed walking there on Sunday. Incidentally, the REAL name of Webster Lake is Lake Chargoggaggmanchauggagoggchacbunagungamaugg. It's the longest place name in the U.S.A.!

Bottom line: I'm starting to warm up to Webster.

No comments: