Thursday, August 8, 2013

GREG'S MAGNIFICENT STORY OF GOD'S HELP!

"And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the Lord. And, behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the Lord; but the Lord was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the Lord was not in the earthquake:
And after the earthquake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice." (I Kings 19:11-12)

Early one morning this week, an ordinary man's simple story told on a secular radio program greatly blessed me! This story has encouraged me and given me the incentive to keep plugging and moving ahead on a tough week and in a difficult time in my life. (Without going into a lot of detail, many of you know I had surgery for a detached retina a few weeks ago, after having had a very challenging year prior to this incident. I do not get paid from my two part-time jobs which I am out sick, and so the week and a half that I did not work has really caused some serious problems. I'm grateful for some tangible help a few friends have given me in the midst of it.) The man called in to the "Jen Brien Show" on Boston's WBZ 1030 A.M. radio station. Jen does the overnight show from Midnight to 5. Greg from Pennsylvania called in during the final hour. Jen had asked callers to share inspiring spiritual experiences they'd had.

Greg identified himself as a guy who had "become a Christian" over twenty years ago. This story happened early in his Christian walk. One winter night, Greg was driving his truck a long distance (several hours) home. The weather was bad: freezing rain. As he drove, his truck began experiencing electrical problems. His lights kept going out and coming back on. For Greg, this trip was getting very scary. Suddenly, he heard an inner voice. It was not an audible voice. It was something deep inside that he knew did not originate from him. It said, "Greg, I'm going to bring you home."

Greg told Jen and her listeners that he was so deeply moved by this that he became very emotional and had to fight the urge to completely break down weeping. He knew it was God. Suddenly and immediately, the issue of the lights going on and off stopped! Greg drove for three more hours. There was never an electrical problem for the rest of the trip. The freezing rain kept up, but Greg's truck kept going along with no problems. Ironically, the instant he pulled into his driveway, the lights went out and back on once. It was like a signal from God saying, "Well, Greg, I kept My word and I got you home!"

I've retold that story to several folks this week, and I've thought a lot about it. I've prayed very humbly, asking God to see me through my own troubles just as he brought Greg home. I don't know Greg's last name, nor do I know his address or telephone number, but I am grateful he called Jen Brien this week and shared that testimony! I hope someday I can meet him and thank him in person...maybe it will be far off in the future in Heaven, but that would be just fine, too!

I hope Greg's magnificent story of God's help has blessed you as much as it blessed me!

No comments: