Wednesday, January 8, 2014

"PEOPLE WHO HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS"

"...a time to keep silence, and a time to speak" (from Ecclesiastes 3:7)

I just spontaneously posted this on my Facebook page. It's something that's been germinating inside of me and that I feel very strongly about. For some reason, tonight I just had to post it! I decided to share this here, as well.

"People who have all the answers" both amaze and frustrate me. This is because (other than the Lord) NOBODY has all the answers! You'll find those "people who have all the answers" on the political left and on the political right; AND you will find them on both the religious left and the religious right. I'll say to my fellow Evangelicals: you'll find them among "saved" and "unsaved" alike. The fact is, a truly mature and Godly person learns to walk "circumspectly" as we're admonished to in the Book of Ephesians. One of the most powerful chapters in Scripture is in the Old Testament: It's Ecclesiastes 3. Verse 7 there tells us that there is, "a time to keep silence, and a time to speak". I've been privileged to be an in-studio guest at a major Boston radio station a couple of times. I remember after my first such radio interview a middle-aged man in the church I pastored confronted me about the broadcast. "You SHOULD have said THIS," and "You SHOULD have said THAT," were his admonitions. You see, he was one of those "People who have all the answers". Yet, Scripture says there's a time to keep silence, and a time to speak. There's a time to be very confrontational- frankly to FIGHT; and there's a time to be very passive and silent. That was modeled by Martin Luther King, Jr, AND by the Apostle Paul, and most importantly by OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST. So, when you feel you have all the answers, know that you DON'T. And when someone who "has all the answers" confronts you- love that person, but walk in great wisdom. Cling to the Word of God and to the Holy Spirit LIKE GLUE. KNOW when to keep silent and when to speak. Ironically, when you do this you will NEVER feel like you "have all the answers" but in a very real sense YOU WILL.

2 comments:

GRACE Assembly of Truth said...

Thank you Pastor for this reminder. May we learn to be led by the Spirit and give the control of our tongue to Him. When I feel I have all the answers also reveals my trust in the self and yet I have not allowed Christ to take over in-stead of me. May I and us learn to be STILL and know He is GOD (Psalms 46:10)
Thank you again. We are blessed by your writings and thank Jesus for your gift.

MaryA said...

So true. In fact, as I get older it is more apparent that I don't and never will have all the answers and I'm just fine with that. So nice to not have to be the expert opinion on everything.