Wednesday, May 27, 2015

THE $2800 MAN

"For all these have of their abundance cast in unto the offerings of God: but she of her penury hath cast in all the living that she had."  (Luke 21:4)


Today I overheard a conversation which deeply moved me.


I was at a fast food restaurant grabbing a very quick lunch during a hectic day.  I was not deliberately trying to eavesdrop.  Rather, I heard the conversation at a table directly across from me, clearly.  At that table was a middle-aged woman in a nurse's smock and a guy about my age who was dressed like a typical blue-collar worker.  They were not together; they'd run into each other at the restaurant and were quickly catching up on things.  The nurse shared that her father just died a couple of months ago.  He was seventy-two and had been quite ill. 


She said he'd told his doctor and nurses that he wanted to be made comfortable but realized he was near death.  They honored his wishes.  He'd told everyone, "I just want to go home to be with the Lord."  That caught my attention.  The nurse spoke of her father.  Her parents had been divorced since she was a child, but were on friendly terms.  He'd lived in a simple apartment.  He had very little in this life, but he was very committed to the Lord and to his church.  She said that after his death she discovered that not long before his health situation became life-threatening, he'd written a check for $2800 to his church's missions account.  She was amazed he'd done that, because he had so little in life.  She commented that the donation just expressed the kind of man he was and the values he had.


I was so touched and blessed by that story.  My eyes are watering up as I write this. I don't know that man's name.  I don't know his daughter's name. He was nothing in this world.  But, I know he was known in Heaven!  I'd like to see the reception he received when he passed into the arms of Jesus!


As I walked out the door of that establishment, I so sensed the presence of the Holy Spirit.  I've been going through a lot, lately, and at times I've slipped into a little bit of self-pity.  I sensed the Holy Spirit saying to me, deep in my heart, "I wanted you to hear that conversation.  Don't ever forget the kind of person that I truly value!"


That guy gave $2800 to his church's missions fund.  The world would tell him he's an absolute fool.  God says, he's a true winner!  The Bible verse above speaks of a widow who gave a very small financial gift, but it amounted to all the money she had so it was in fact the greatest gift of all!  That $2800 man was a modern version of that widow!  I had to share that with you today!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

this brought me to tears............Bob I so appreciate your blogs.......they restore a LOT of Faith in me.............I like you are a fairly private person in some aspects of my life but your blogs touch me.............don't stop!

MaryA said...

Thanks for sharing. It is often the people, like this gentleman, the nameless, faceless supporters of God's kingdom who give generously and desire no fanfare or notoriety. It really isn't the dollar amount that matters. God looks at the heart and this man had a large one.