Saturday, February 5, 2022

MIKE PENCE'S PROBLEMATIC PUZZLING PREDICAMENT

 "See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil."  (Ephesians 5:15-16)

Former Vice-President Mike Pence made headlines a few days ago when he made a blistering statement rebuking former President Donald Trump for saying things like, "Mike Pence didn't have to certify the election, making Joe Biden and Kamala Harris the winners.  He could have refused to do that!  The power to change the results was in his hands.  If only Mike Pence had done the right thing; but alas he didn't!"

Trump has said something like that maybe a thousand times since January 6, 2021.  Has Trump "overdone it" with all that complaining about Mike Pence?  In my opinion, yeah he has.  I will admit Pence's statement kind of made me cringe.  But I suppose after listening to a year of Trump essentially calling him a useless, disloyal, unreliable disappointment, Pence had "had it" and needed to vent his own frustration and disappointment with Donald Trump.

I really feel sorry for Mike Pence.  He was put in a terrible position back on the first week of January of 2021.  Honestly, I believe the election was stolen and Biden is an illegitimate president.  It's what I believe and that's my right.  But I don't know what I would have done were I Mike Pence.  It's very possible I would have done exactly what Mike Pence did and certified the election with Joe Biden as President and Kamala Harris as Vice-President.  As far as I can tell, the Vice-President's role in that whole thing is largely (if not totally) ceremonial.  Back on that first week of January I really felt for Mike Pence.  Again, I thought he was placed in a terrible position.  It was the classic "No Win Situation"!  I didn't know what Pence would do but I knew it was very possible he'd just certify the election.  I also knew it was very possible he'd be hated and rejected by essentially "everybody" and "forever".  And that scenario sure played out!

I voted for Trump both times.  If Trump is the nominee in 2024 I will vote for him again.  (Incidentally,  I seriously doubt Trump will be the nominee in 2024.)  I've been accused in social media of "worshipping Donald Trump" and of "making an idol of Donald Trump".  I'm guilty of neither accusation!  Yes I have written some posts online which were very supportive of Trump.  I've also written some posts which were quite critical of Trump.  He did a number of great things as president.  He also sometimes said and did what could be called "some really stupid things".

In my opinion, Trump's disparaging remarks about what Mike Pence did on January 6 are really out of line and inappropriate.  Mike Pence has often described himself as, "A Christian first, a conservative second, and a Republican third."  I've often described myself exactly the same way.  In my lifetime, no vice-president has been as loyal and supportive of  the POTUS as was Mike Pence.  I frankly hated when liberals described Pence as "a stooge... a sycophant... a lackey... a guy who can't think for himself" and so forth.  Pence acted exactly the way I'd expect a devout evangelical Christian who served as vice-president to act.  I'm not saying I'm presidential material, but I would have handled being Donald Trump's vice-president almost exactly as Mike Pence did.

Recently a listener asked radio talk show host Jesse Kelly if he thought Mike Pence has any political future.  Jesse Kelly responded that Pence has no political future.  Jesse Kelly is right about that.  It's sad.  Mike Pence is still very much loved and praised by Billy Graham's son Franklin Graham.  But when it comes to Mike Pence, I'd say Franklin Graham is probably one in million.

Now, I said earlier that Mike Pence's recent statement made me cringe.  And it did.  I feared it would only stir up a lot of "bad stuff" that probably doesn't need to be stirred up.

This will certainly never happen,  but if I could sit down in a room with Donald Trump and Mike Pence, here's what I'd say to them:

I would tell Donald Trump, "Stop it!  Just stop it!  You've more than said your peace about Mike Pence and certifying that election.  Maybe he was right and maybe he was wrong, but please forgive him.  No one would have been more loyal to you than Mike Pence was.  Appreciate him.  Pray for him.  Don't say another bad word about him."

I would tell Mike Pence, "You were put in a terrible position.  I wouldn't have traded places with you for a million dollars.  There are a lot of people who will always see you as a traitor and a weasel.  But God doesn't see you that way.  I don't know if you were right or wrong to say what you said this week.  But I know Donald Trump badly hurt you and you vented out your feelings.  Now leave it at the altar.  Pray for Donald Trump.  And seek the Lord's direction for the rest of your life."

Mike Pence is human.  He's a fallible and sincere guy who tried to do the right thing as he best understood the right thing to be.  People may never stop arguing about whether Mike Pence was right or wrong, but Mike Pence deserves fair consideration and not firm condemnation! 

3 comments:

Elaine S said...

Mike Pence knew the election was stolen from Donald Trump. He should have thrown the election back to the states instead of certifying it on January 6.

CM said...

Bob,

You are seriously deluded and drinking the Trump Kool-Aid if you think the 2020 Election was stolen. I suggest you read and listen what Christian radio host Erik Erikson (and Trump supporter) has had to say on the matter:

https://www.mediaite.com/online/either-admit-the-election-wasnt-stolen-or-stfu-erick-erickson-rants-at-2020-election-conspiracists-after-gop-wins-in-virginia/

There has been NO credible evidence that election was stolen and ALL legal challenges were shot down by judges across the political spectrum.

You would rather belief a lying POS like Trump rather than say the Secretary State of GA.

https://www.swampstories.org/ep21-the-georgia-meltdown-transcript

CM said...

Bob,

Given all what has transpired in the last 18 months, care to amend or retract this column and admit you were wrong about Trump and defending/supporting Trump and wrong about Biden stealing the election?

I suspect you won't nor respond to my post.

CM