Thursday, July 27, 2006

BENEDICTUS

“What then, notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice. (Philippians 1:18).

Benedictus Hinn is holding a crusade in Boston at TD BankNorth Garden (formerly Fleet Center) tonight and tomorrow night.  Yes, his real name IS “Benedictus” although he is commonly known as “Benny Hinn”.  I’ll be attending both of the crusade meetings.  

Some of you probably read my piece on this blog (circa early April) about Benny Hinn and my attending the Benny Hinn Pastors’ Breakfast.  Benny Hinn is one of the most controversial Christian ministers/celebrities alive today.  If you do a Google search, you’ll find all sorts of sites and information about Benny Hinn.  One highly critical site lists his occupation as “Charlatan”, and says the Steve Martin character in “Leap Of Faith” was based upon Benny Hinn.  Some sites say Benny Hinn is really a Hindu.  Some say he is really a Roman Catholic.  Some say he claimed his father was the mayor of Haifa, Israel and that it’s a lie.  ABC News did a major expose of Benny Hinn several years ago.  It concluded that he lives a very extravagant lifestyle and that some in his ministry are fast and loose with money.  It also documented that Benny Hinn has dramatically proclaimed some people as “healed” who later died of their ailments.

I’m sure it will surprise many of my readers to learn that I have met Benny Hinn in person several times.  That includes going out to dinner with Benny Hinn (in groups) and having brief one-on-one conversations with Benny Hinn.  Being in Benny’s presence is NOT a relaxing experience.  Have you ever watched “Hell’s Kitchen” on the FOX network?  Except for the swearing, Benny Hinn’s private demeanor is SO much like that of Chef Gordon Ramsay that it’s scary!  Benny is a very intense and demanding guy.  When he wants something, as the saying goes, he “don’t mean maybe”.   Due to his flamboyance and his obnoxious personality, many have concluded that he is a phony and his ministry is not of God.  I don’t care much for Benny Hinn on a personal level, but I’m also not so quick to dismiss his ministry.  My experiences with Benny Hinn were mostly in the 1980s when he didn’t have one-tenth of the fame and following that he does today.  The large church where I served as an Assistant Pastor used to bring Benny Hinn in for special 2 or 3 day meetings several times a year.  I will say people were definitely healed in his meetings.  People definitely received Jesus Christ as their Savior in Benny’s meetings.  The power of God was VERY evident in Benny’s meetings.  I know of one couple that was having a very difficult time having children.  Benny prayed over them and said that not only would they have a child, but, he added, “I see  TWO children”.  That woman became pregnant shortly thereafter and had a baby girl.  Very soon afterward, she became pregnant again.  This time it was a son.

My wife Mary Ann and I would likely never have met were in not for Benny Hinn.  She came to see Benny Hinn at the large Walpole church in 1981.  That was before I was even on staff there.  In Benny’s FIRST meeting there, before I was ever on staff, I was the first person that Benny prayed for.  Benny charged up to me, laid hands on me, asked me what I wanted prayer for (I told him my ministry) and prayed one of those big, dramatic Benny Hinn prayers.  Yes, I  “fell down under the power of God”.  I was also put on staff there three  months later.  Mary Ann and I began dating six months after that first Benny Hinn service and were married less than a year later.  

Tonight, I’m joining my friends John and Kathy (who are coming down from New Hampshire) at TD BankNorth Garden.  They are the ones who had the girl and boy after the prayer and prophecy.  Mary Ann and I along with several folks from our church will be at the service tomorrow night.
Do I endorse EVERYTHING about Benny Hinn?  No, I don’t, and I wish he’d go to charm school and I wish he’d live a simpler lifestyle, but I DO appreciate the fact that God works in Benny’s services and I’m looking forward to them!

No comments: