Tuesday, July 11, 2006

(EXTRA ENTRY) ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST

One week ago today, I wrote a piece on my blog lamenting the tragic death of Tony Raucci on Route 93 North of Boston.  One week later, many of us are very saddened by the horrific death of a Jamaica Plain woman last night as three huge chunks of ceiling weighing several tons fell from the ceiling of an I-90 Connector tunnel onto her car.

There is not a lot that I can write or say which has not already been very eloquently said by WRKO’s Jon DePetro and Howie Carr and WTKK’s Jim Braude and Michael Graham.  The Ted Williams Tunnel should have been named the JERRY WILLIAMS TUNNEL.  The late radio talk show host Jerry Williams railed against the Big Dig corruption for years and predicted financial and other disasters would follow.  He was so right.  

Considering I live only twenty miles from downtown Boston this may sound really weird but I have never driven over the Lennie Zakim Bridge and I have never driven through the new I-93 tunnels.  I have driven through the Ted Williams tunnel a few times (pre-2000).  I am not sure if I have ever driven through that connector tunnel where the tragedy took place, but I suspect I may have.  When I travel into the heart of the City of Boston, I usually either take the commuter rail or the “T” rapid-transit system.  I rarely drive anywhere within (say) two miles of the State House.  This incident has made me glad that I’ve not driven through very much of the Big Dig.  There are many facets of the Big Dig that I just don’t understand.

The Big Dig project was obvioulsy filled to overflowing with the worst kind of graft and corruption.  As Michael Graham pointed out on the radio today, a woman paid for it with their life.  

No one lives forever.  One day those who contributed to this poor woman’s death will stand before God in judgment.

“And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: “ (Hebrews 9:27)

No comments: