Saturday, July 15, 2006

PERILOUS TIMES!

“Men’s hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth:  for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.”  (Luke 21:26)

Did you ever wake up and just not want to get out of bed?  I experienced that on Friday (yesterday).  Sometimes I wish I did NOT understand end-time Bible prophecy.  If you keep things in perspective, end-time Bible prophecy IS actually a great blessing...but on a very human level, if you let your “flesh” start to run wild, you CAN become very fearful.

As Marjorie Egan said on FM Talk 96.9 yesterday, “No one in Boston CARES that there’s a war going on between Lebanon and Israel.   We can’t even THINK about it when we have this thing with the Big Dig going on.”  That’s true.  I think the one place in the country that isn’t focused on the Lebanon-Israel situation is Massachusetts, particularly the area within a 30-mile-radius of downtown Boston.  BUT, that whole situation in the Middle East is not good.  Gasoline prices COULD go to $4 a gallon, or higher in the near future.  And, the price of heating oil this winter?  Well let’s just say it could be unbelievable.  This sort of thing all ties in with end-time propecy, and in my mood on Friday morning, it was causing a feeling of great depression.

What we DO care about in Boston is the Big Dig story!  I have been suspecting for a few days that ultimately the ENTIRE Big Dig tunnel system will be shut down.  The first person to talk about that as a possiblity was Jim Braudie on 96.9 FM Talk yesterday.  Can you even THINK of the ramifications of that?  We have no more elevated Central Artery to divert traffic to.  We’ve torn down our elevated central-city highways AND we’ve built an unsafe, nightmare of underground highways to replace them- which may well all be shut down before 2006 is over!  Boston has the potential to be the next New Orleans...the city that people CAN’T GET AWAY FROM FAST ENOUGH.  Could real estate values plummet over the next year?  Maybe.  Could companies exit the state “left and right” over the next year or two?  That’s very possible.  The good part is that I may actually be able to afford to buy a house in Massachusetts, but the bad part is, maybe I wouldn’t want to.

This is tough stuff.   Who would have believed this stuff twenty-five years ago?

Over the day Friday, I calmed down somewhat.  I remembered that God is in control.  I am His child.   He holds me in the palm of His hand.  The Boston area may “go down the toilet”.  Frankly, the whole world may “go to H__l in a handbasket” as it were.  But as Psalm 27:1  says, “The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?”  That’s the botttom line.

This is a day to get as close to God as you ever have and to put God’s will first!  This is a day in which to get priorites straight!  These are perilous times which may get a lot worse.

As the old song says, “Many things about tomorrow I don’t seem to understand, but I know Who holds tomorrow, and I know He holds my hand.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Praise God we don't have to go far for inner peace.  Just open the bible and there is an answer to all of our fears.