Tuesday, April 10, 2007

MARATHON MONDAY (invitation)

"Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize?" (I Corinthians 9:24)

Next Monday is Patriots Day and the 111th running of the Boston Marathon.
Almost every year since our church purchased the UAW Union Hall property at 32 South Street (right off Route 135) I have watched the Boston Marathon from a wonderful vantage point there at Route 135.   Usually I set up my chair near Dunkin Donuts on 135 for obvious reasons!  Each year, it's been very exciting.

This year, and from now on, the Boston Marathon is being run two hours earlier than in the past.  This year, the wheelchair racers will start at 9:25 a.m. and the elite runners will start at 10:00 a.m.

Flashing information signs in downtown Framingham are already stating that Route 135 will be closed from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Marathon Monday.
In the past, I used to be out set-up on the sidewalk with my folding chair, coffee, and Boston Herald around 10:15 a.m.  This year, my daughter Rachel and I will be out there at 8:15.  Our church parking lot is a GREAT place to park to watch the Marathon.  Although I'm usually a  stickler about illegal parking in our church lots, I let Marathon Monday be a free day on a "first come, first served" basis.  (Often I've put tracts on the windshields of the cars...a few have been left laying in the lot, but most people have taken them.)  Our paved lot parks 34 cars, and our dirt/gravel overflow lot parks 12 cars.

You're more than welcome to come and join us to watch the Marathon!  If you do come, I advise you to bring a lawn chair or some sort of portable chair to sit on, and to wear sunblock.  One year, I did not wear sunblock and I got a bad sunburn on half my face...I really looked weird!  Since then, I remember to put sunblock on.  Also, even if it's sunny, it CAN get cold out there when you're outside for hours.  Remember jackets and sweatshirts.

If you'd like more information about Marathon Monday, or to let me know you'll be joining me, or "whatever" then feel free to e-mail me at RevRBaril@aol.com

Enjoy Marathon Monday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's one thing i always miss being out here