Saturday, December 20, 2008

FOLLOW UP ABOUT "MISS ENNIS"

"Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby." (Hebrews 12:11)

My December 14, 2008 posting entitled "What Do You Think I Should Do?" was essentially a "re-run" of my December 7, 2006 posting entitled, "Where's Miss Ennis?". I mentioned that after doing on-line searches many times, I had located Ellen Ennis Kane's husband's business address. I did sent off a letter a few days ago.

When you attempt to contact someone with whom you've had absolutely no contact in over forty-three years, you do wonder if that person will even remember you. Will they think you're some kind of weirdo? Will they respond? Will it be a positive response? I'm pleased to say I got a very positive response last night. I received a phone call from "Miss Ennis" and we had a great talk on the phone for over an hour. Her voice is a lot lower than it was in 1965, but she's as jovial and opinionated and perceptive as I remembered. She DID remember me well, and she remembered writing the letter to my father. She said I had a horrified look when she handed me the letter to take home (well I CERTAINLY believe that...I'm amazed I didn't outright COLLAPSE!), and that because I'd had SUCH a horrified look, she didn't later push it when I did not give a good response about what I'd done with the letter.

"Miss Ennis" is not a "computer person" at all, but her husband and grown kids are, and this contact has helped inspire her to take the plunge regarding the whole world of "going on-line". She said this (my contact with her after all those years) was a great Christmas present for her; and it kind of was for me, too!

No comments: