Monday, December 29, 2008

"OH, IT'S A GREAT RECORD!"

“And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, and before the four beasts, and the elders; and no man could learn that song but the hundred and forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth.” (Revelation 14:3)

I know Don Imus is a very controversial guy. Most of you probably know he was fired from his longtime radio and television gig in early 2007 after making some racist remarks. (Truthfully, one of his sidekicks made the remarks, but Imus laughed and agreed with them, and that was bad enough.) Many predicted Imus’ career was over, but Boston’s Jay Severin guaranteed Imus would return, and he DID return with a new radio and television job, and two new African-American sidekicks, in late 2007. The new Don Imus is a kinder and gentler man, albeit frankly more boring and harder to listen to. That said, it’s the Don Imus Show over the past nine years that has given me quite an appreciation for country music.

I would probably never have listened to country music if not for what was played on the Imus’ show. The Imus Show plays all sorts of country music, from Christian and very wholesome stuff to frankly some very raunchy stuff, and pretty much just about everything in-between. I certainly don’t like ALL the music played on the Don Imus Show, but I really do have an affinity for most of it. That’s why I’d been wanting the recently released “Imus Ranch Record” and I was delighted to receive it as a Christmas present from my son Jon. (I’d been looking for it in the stores and it’s really hard to find. You certainly CAN have a store order it for you, and I’m sure you must be able to order it on-line.)

The “Imus Ranch Record” is (obviously) a C.D. It’s a collection of thirteen songs by thirteen different artists and groups. If you’re what the late Rev. Dr. Carl Stevens of Greater Grace Christian Fellowship would have called a “right wing fundamentalist” or if you’re a person who strongly opposes all secular music (I’m discovering there are more folks like that than you might think) then you won’t want the Imus Ranch Record. However, song number thirteen on the C.D. is one that I’d expect 98% of evangelical Christians to appreciate, and that’s “A Satisfied Mind” by Vince Gill. “A Satisfied Mind” would be suitable as “special music” in most Bible-believing churches and has a great message. Most of my Christian friends would probably LEAST like Big & Rich’s “Fight For Your Right To Party”. I actually get a big chuckle out of it and consider it a fun song. Listen, that song is just like The Three Stooges...it’s crazy and fun and entertaining and NEVER meant to be taken literally! I think Don Imus’ favorite song on the album is Lucinda Williams’ “Mamas Don’t Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys”. That’s got all the qualities of a classic country and western song, and it kind of grows on you. Do you like Little Richard? Well, “I Ain’t Never” is VINTAGE Little Richard and it’s Track number 6 on the C.D. I was not familiar with Bekka Bramlett, but I’ve fallen in love with her song “What Happened” and I’ve got that song playing on continuous play as I write this piece.

Don Imus is a very complicated person. Whether you like him or you can’t stand him, you’ve got to respect all he’s done for kids with cancer. That’s what the Imus Ranch for Kids With Cancer in New Mexico is all about. It’s a wonderful philanthropic work, and all the proceeds from the sale of the C.D. go to support the ranch.

On the promotional piece they’ve used on the Don Imus Show, Imus says, “Oh, It’s a Great Record!” It really is. I understand he’s already got Volume 2 in the works. I recommend you purchase and listen to the Imus Ranch Record! Thanks Jon for getting it for me!

No comments: