Thursday, February 16, 2006

FRAMINGHAM'S FUTURE: MY TWO CENTS WORTH...

"For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?  Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him, Saying, This man began to build and was not able to finish."  (Luke 14:28-30)

The beginning of that passage in The Living Bible reads:  "But don't begin until you count the cost."

If it were possible for me to deliver a sermon to the leaders of Framingham (particularly the leaders in Framingham's government and administration, as well as key business leaders in the community) that would be the Biblical passage I'd begin with.  I've lived in Framingham and pastored First Assembly of God of Framingham for over nineteen years now.  During that period of time, I've seen a number of changes in Framingham.  Some of the changes have been bad, but I think most have been good.  Overall, Framingham is a nice community.  It's a very diverse community in every possible way.  Even geographically, it's very diverse.  The "northwest quadrant" of Town is very woodsy and rural, although a number of very high priced homes have been built in that area over the past twenty years.  The downtown is quite urban and does include some poor and frankly "run down" areas.  The neighborhood I live in (filled with a lot of activity this week because of the arraignment of Neil Entwhistle at the Framingham Court hours) is a "blue collar" area of mostly well kept older homes.    There are many good things happening around Town.  We have some of the finest restaurants and retail outlets anywhere in the Boston area.  Sadly, there is a lot of division in Framingham.  There are heated disagreements.  There are conflicting philosophies and positions regarding Framingham's future.  

Although I'm a very gifted and persuasive public speaker, I also tend to be much more of a pacifist than a warrior (unless I'm cornered).  I have deliberately tried to keep quiet about the controversies in Town, lest I anger and alienate a significant segment of the population- and when you're pastoring a very small church that you're energetically trying to grow, the last thing you want to do is anger and alienate people.  Nevertheless, for what it's worth I want to "put my two cents in" regarding the issue of Downtown planning and regarding the whole "We have too many social service providers in Town" attitude.  Incidentally, it may seem as though the Scripture passage I quoted above has nothing to do with these issues; in fact, it has EVERYTHING to do with them.  Before Framingham embarks on a course regarding either, Framingham must do some serious "soul searching" and "count the cost".  I'm well aware that to make sure this piece doesn't become ridiculously long, I'm going to have to consider this part a "long introduction" and now I'm going to have to present two short but important opinions:

FIRST- Town Economic Development Director, Kathleen Bartolini, is correct when she states that Framingham does have a 1998 Master plan for downtown which has been progressing along well.  Selectman Dennis Giombetti is also correct when he says that Framingham cannot be in bondage to the exact particulars of a 1998 Master plan but that this plan must be subject to annual review and possible changes.   The Master Plan, for instance, calls for NO more auto repair shops in the downtown area.  I grew up in Canton where there were three gas stations,  two with auto repair facilities, in the downtown area.  What's wrong with that?  Frankly, I'd rather have a nicely kept auto shop than another pizza/sub shop in downtown Framingham any day!  Framingham's leaders need to LISTEN to the residents and business owners from the immediate downtown area.  I'm very much saddened that the recently quoted opinions of the manager of the Chicken Bone Saloon and the developer of the new luxury residences at the Dennison complex (regarding a large proposed facility) have been seemingly margainalized and ignored by the Planning Board and Framingham civic leaders.

SECOND- I am a former Board member of The Bridge House/New England Aftercare Ministries and in the past I have taken a strong public stand in favor of S.M.O.C. and its services.  I do not favor any cutting back in social services in Framingham.  BUT, I also do not favor any increase in social service providers or agencies.  I think we have enough.  I think the frustrated and angry homeowners (especially elderly homeowners) do have a point.  Framingham does more than its fair share.  Framingham can be proud of all we do for the poor, needy, disabled, etc.  But any community can only do so much.  There needs to be at least a five year moratorium on ANY social service expansion in Framingham.

Finally, I am saddened by the lack of civility regarding discussion of these issues in the Framingham of 2006.  I hope the citizens of Framingham can show love and respect as we "count the cost" regarding these difficult issues.

(I would love to hear what you think about this column!  Please post a response, or e-mail me at RevRBaril@aol.com)

No comments: