Tuesday, February 7, 2006

STEPPING OUT OF THE BOAT

I guess you've gotta "step out of the boat" sometimes!

I almost created a blog about two months ago.  I went through the basic steps, then thought, "People will think I'm weird- people will think this is weird- people won't get it- I'm not going to do this!"
And that was that- for the time being.

The adults (and teens) are viewing a GREAT D.V.D. teaching series for Sunday school over these winter months:  It's John Ortberg's "IF YOU WANT TO WALK ON WATER, YOU'VE GOT TO STEP OUT OF THE BOAT".  It's really challenging stuff.
Last night, I was reading a year old issue of LEADERSHIP Journal.  There was a whole section urging Pastors to write their own blogs and stressing the advantages of doing this.  In fact, I learned what "blog" is short for "Web log".  Today, I got an e-mail from a pastor friend (coincidentally?) giving the Web address of HIS new blog.  I kind of knew God was telling me something, so I'm stepping out of the boat.

I like Bill and Jeff Keane's THE FAMILY CIRCUS on the Comic pages of many newspapers. Today's shows the grandmother giving some "grandmotherly" advice to little Jeffy, "If you're afraid you'll make a mistake, you won't make anything".
Yes, that's another way of saying, "If you want to walk on water, you've got to step out of the boat"

Incidentally, the Bible passage John Ortberg is teaching from is Matthew chapter 14, verses 23 to 32.  Read it- I think you'll like it.

And, if you've been pensive about something God is calling you to do, I hope you'll step out of the boat!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! The ministers are going high tech! I have never actually looked at a blog before so this is a new experience...

Interesting that you talk about stepping out the boat. I often remind myself to "go to the back of the boat", to take time out, even as Jesus did, to reflect and meditate, restoring oneself and being open to deep listening of the spirit. This is an image that Kirk Jones writes about in his book, "Rest from the Storm" where he addresses clergy self-care. It has been important to me as an image in the ministry I am called to in the community.

Good luck and blessings in your blogging steps!
Maddie

Anonymous said...

i can't believe you have a blog!!!  I miss watching those DVDs.  I know, I'm a horrible PK, but I haven't been to Sunday School in almost a year!  Don't shoot me!
I really did get a lot out of the one session I saw of the DVD.  Keep this up!!
-me

Anonymous said...

I haven't had the privilege of being in the Sunday school class but you have incorporated some of the teaching in your Sunday sermons that have been a blessing.  I haven't actually stepped out of the boat yet but I'm standing up in the boat.  I'm glad you created the blog.  I will definitely check future postings.  Tim