Thursday, April 6, 2006

REPORT ON THE BENNY HINN BREAKFAST

God’s timing is impeccable!

On Tuesday morning, April 4, 2006, my son Jon and attended the Benny HInn Ministries Pastoral Breakfast at the Boston Park Plaza Hotel.  The date is very significant because I first attended a Benny Hinn service on April 4, 1981, exactly twenty-five years previously.  The place was Christian Life Center church in Walpole, which sadly no longer exists.  Although I spent a number of years on the pastoral staff there, in April of 1981 I was an ordinary layman.  That day, the young lady who would ultimately become my wife attended Christian Life Center for her first time (for the Benny Hinn event).  On the MORNING of April 4, 1981, I was the FIRST PERSON Benny Hinn prayed for at the altar call.  I was terrified.  I told him, “I want guidance and direction for my life and an anointing on my ministry.”  Benny Hinn prayed and I fell down under the power of God.   It was quite a moment.

Through the years, however, I came to largely dislike Benny Hinn.  When I became a staff pastor, I had occasion to meet him behind the scenes several times.  I found him to be self-absorbed and arrogant.  I also had a very difficult time with the way Benny conducted services, and I found them to be more like disorderly sideshows.  Benny Hinn also tends to be much less media savvy than the great “healing evangelist” whose mantle he now carries- Kathryn Khulman.  His lavish lifestyle and (sometimes) lack of wisdom have caused him and the Body of Christ problems.

In 2000, I attended the Benny Hinn Ministries Pastoral Luncheon in Worcester.  I went mainly to be a spectator and to look for unscriptural inconsistencies.  I did not attend the Worcester crusade that year.

Some weeks back, I got the invitation to the Boston breakfast.  I didn’t know why, but I sent in the card and  indicated I would attend.  Only later did I realize the significance of the date.  I thoroughly enjoyed this week’s Pastoral Breakfast.  And, I have to admit, I’m at least “rethinking” my feelings about Benny Hinn.  His staff could not have been a finer group. Event Director Kurt Kjellstrom and Event Manager Patrick Gambill humbly and warmly shared some great personal testimonies.  Pastor Dave from Benny Hinn Ministries gave a wonderful message which touched my heart.  The clips of the Indonesia Crusade, and the video word to the Boston pastors from Benny Hinn were quite powerful.  I still have some problems with Benny Hinn, but I do believe he genuinely wants to see people saved and healed, and I do believe he wants to see Jesus Christ praised and exalted.  I certainly can’t disagree with those goals.

I will attend the Crusade at the BankNorth Boston Garden (former Fleet Center) on July 27 and 28.  Will I accept wholesale everything that takes place? Probably not.  Will I be praying for many healings and salvations?  Yes, I will, and I’ll rejoice when they take place.

“... Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.”  (Philippians 1:18)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That day is very significant for me, also, as it was the day that God promised me that He woud heal me.  Benny HInn still scares me, but God does use him.  That's a testimony to the fact that God uses anyone who is willing to be used by Him to do whatever He calls them to.  We just have to be surrendered!

Anonymous said...

In 2000 my husband and I attended the Worcester crusade.  I have to admit we attended mainly out of curiosity.  We wondered if Benny Hinn was for real or not.  I love how God satisfied our curiosity.  We arrived late and ended up sitting in the very last row (nose-bleed seats).  We sat next to two of our customers.  We got to talking with them and they testified how God had healed them both the night before.  It was truly amazing to hear what God had done for them but it was equally amazing to us that out of all the people at the crusade that night God put us next to these two people that we had known for years through our business.  No doubt in our minds that God uses Benny Hinn.  Do we like all the hype or the show?  Not really but it's hard not to rejoice when someone receives a miracle from God.    

Anonymous said...

can I go? just curious about what all goes on there

Anonymous said...

I attended a Benny Hinn event in United Center in Chicago some years ago.  I had never been to see him before and was curious.  It was the first time I ever heard people speak in tongues and the sound actually scared me.  Anyway, I came away from the whole thing not quite trusting that Benny was "for real" and wondered if he was just there for the $$$ the events make.  I kept thinking that maybe all those people going up to the stage "healed" of this and that were hired by Benny to do so.  But, on the other hand, I also think that the Hinn crusades bring people to Jesus who might otherwise never have sought Him, so it doesn't matter how Benny puts on his show as long as he's saving some souls.

Standard Online Finance said...

I am a person who offers loans to the national. With capital that will be used to grant loans between short-term and long-term individuals ranging from $5, 000 to $500,000,000 all the serious people being in the real needs, the interest rate is 3% over the entire repayment period. I make loans Financial in all areas. I am available to satisfy my customers within 24hours, see 1 day after your application send replies to the following E-mail address: standardonlineinvestment@gmail.com
Thanks and look forward to your prompt reply. 
Regards, 
Muqse