Monday, April 3, 2006

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY

I used to love to listen to Larry Glick.  Glick is now in his 80s and living in Florida, but he was a “legend” in Boston radio broadcasting in the ‘70s and ‘80s.   Larry Glick used to love to uncover, “The story behind the story.”

This posting fits the category of “The story behind the story”.

THE FIRST THING I WANT YOU TO KNOW:  I have a column in today’s (Monday, April 3) MetroWest Daily News.  It can be read on-line at www.metrowestdailynews.com

At the home page, click “Columnists” and then when you get to the Columnists page, click “Baril”.  

The column is very similar to a posting on this blog about whether the driving age should be raised in Massachusetts.  I think it should NOT be.  I do want you to know that the column is NOT my best work.  There are some “typos” and poorly constructed sentences.  In this case, it is not the fault of the newspaper, it’s my fault.  I cranked that thing out on the computer and fired it off without really proofing it and it shows.  Now, I do believe the Editor at the MWDN truly SHOULD edit- and he could have fixed the column, but in all fairness the sloppy writing (as far as the craft of writing goes) is my fault.  I DO hope, however, that the writing is clear enough that it will cause key MetroWest legislators and other important decision makers to be very thorough, thoughtful, and careful before just raising the driving age in a typical Massachusetts knee-jerk fashion. My final couple of sentences will really upset a lot of Senior Citizens I know.  It gives the impression that I want all people over age 80 to immediately lose their licenses.  A careful reading of that columns will show that what I’m ACTUALLY saying is that if we’re going to arbitrarily take away the opportunity of 16-year-olds to drive based on the actions of a minority of them; well, then in all fairness it makes as much or more sense to do the same with 80-year-olds.  (It’s the logic of “what’s good for the goose is good for the gander”.  Most elderly want 16-year-olds off the road, but THEY don’t want to be taken off the road!)

THE SECOND THING I WANT YOU TO KNOW:  I usually post items on this blog on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.  I’m posting on Monday not only because the column about driving is in TODAY’S paper, but also to let you know I’ll be attending the Benny Hinn pastors’ breakfast at the Boston Park Plaza Hotel tomorrow  and I need to be up and out early for that reason.  With the exception of my immediate family, most people would be very surprised at my opinion of Benny Hinn and Benny Hinn Ministries.  I will have a complete report about the breakfast, and will state my opinions. on THURSDAY.  You’ll want to read that!

I always use a Scripture verse in postings.  This one is a stretch, but here goes:
"I had many things to write, but I will not with ink and pen write unto thee:" (III John 13)
(No, I won't!  I'll use a computer...)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

when I hear Benny Hinn I always think of Rachel saying "Amy you need to go to a Benny Hinn concert"