Monday, May 25, 2009

THANKFUL FOR JULIAN SUSO

“Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets.” (Luke 6:26)

A story on the front page of the (Framingham, MA) MetroWest Daily News on Saturday, May 23 saddened and disturbed me. Titled, “Layoffs lead to feud and suspension”, the story elaborated upon “a flap over how a recent round of layoffs was handled”. Faced with the difficult economic problems which are confronting just about everybody at this time, Framingham’s Town Manager, Julian Suso, laid off eight Town workers in March. In response to the layoffs, Sandra Charton, the Town’s human resources director, has argued that the Town “might be violating state and federal discrimination laws”. Many of those laid off are members of minority groups.

The Town Counsel (“lawyer”) Christopher Petrini has defended Julian Suso’s actions, saying, “Avoiding layoffs...was simply not an option.”

Julian Suso has placed Ms. Charton on paid administrative leave for “insubordination”, and spoken of her comments as, “...absurd...”. You can “read all about it at

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/news/x954344909/Job-cuts-lead-to-town-hall-feud-and-HR-directors-suspension

I’ve casually met Town Manager Julian Suso a few times and I’ve never met Sandra Charton. That said, I felt bad about the story because Julian Suso is a really nice guy and has got to be one of the classiest officials down there at the Framingham Memorial Building. I’m not exactly sure HOW many years ago Julian Suso was hired as Town Manager. Time flies....but I’d say it was about four or five years ago. Suso is a midwesterner who was hired after one of those lengthy nationwide searches. I must admit that during the hiring process I was not in his corner. New England is a very unique section of the country (along with the deep South) in which civic leaders really need to be “up to speed” with the local culture. Julian Suso was previously a Town Manager in Ohio. I thought Framingham would be better off hiring a New Englander; and as I recall, the other two finalists for the job WERE New Englanders.

It was only about a week after Julian Suso came to Town that I changed my mind! I do a LOT of walking around Framingham, especially downtown Framingham. I was amazed to see Julian Suso all around downtown Framingham, meeting and greeting people. This was NOT the sort of phony political kind of thing you see too many politicians doing. I can’t explain it, but my gut old me this guy was for real and was going to be a refreshingly different Town Manager. The clergy had Julian Suso come to one of our Framingham Interfaith Clergy Association meetings. I don’t think any previous Town Manager had ever addressed us, but we had a great time getting to know each other. I learned, for instance, that Suso’s son was studying for the Roman Catholic priesthood. We expressed some practical frustrations about what it’s like to deal with Town offices, and HE HEARD US. On a very practical level, somebody also expressed frustration with Framingham’s Town street signs, which tell you the name of the side streets but never tell you the name of the street you’re traveling on. Well, I shouldn’t say “never”. They did never used to do that, but Suso promised us that would change, and since then many dual street signs have been added.

During times I’ve attended meetings of Framingham Downtown Renaissance when Suso was present, he could not have been more engaging and interested in concerns about the downtown. This past September 11, I was part of the “9/11 Remembrance activities” at Framingham’s Tercentennial Park. Julian Suso was there and made a point to personally thank me for being there.

Again, you may say that’s all just Suso being political. I will admit I’m not quite as streetwise as my late father was, but I did not just fall off the turnip truck, either. I think God has enabled me to discern the difference between public officials who are superficial and those who are genuine. I’ve come to like and appreciate Julian Suso and his dedication to the community of Framingham. It’s bad enough that along with several other Town officials, he was personally sued as part of the S.M.O.C. lawsuit, but to read Saturday’s piece I thought, “I wonder why a nice guy like that even stays around when he’s treated so unkindly!”

I realize the above Bible verse about “men speaking well of you” is “loaded”. It essentially says it’s better if people DON’T speak well of you, because you’re more Christlike. So I’m speaking well of Julian Suso and Ms. Charton is not speaking well of him. Well, I guess in God’s eyes he can’t lose on that one!

On this Memorial Day, there is a LOT to remember and be thankful for. Among many other things, I remember and am thankful for Framingham’s fine Town Manager, Mr. Julian Suso.

No comments: