Wednesday, July 1, 2009

"TELL IT ALL, BROTHER"

“We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair;” (2 Corinthians 4:8)

There was a soft rock/gospel/spiritual/rhythm & blues song (yes, I’d say it fit all those categories) in the 1970s which kept repeating its chorus of, “Tell It All, Brother”. That’s my inspiration for this short post. This post is an update to my June 19 post entitled, “Impossible?”

The “Impossible” post (you’re certainly welcome to read it) tells the story of the plumbing problem with our kitchen faucet- specifically, the hot water dripping over a period of months, and as of sometime in early June just a steady stream of water that you could not turn off.

I wrote the “Impossible” post, because a seeming miracle happened on June 19. Although on that very day, I was all set to call the plumbing company to come out and repair it, on THAT day I was able to turn the water off and it turned off and worked fine! I don’t think I’d ever experienced a “plumbing miracle” like that before.

Now, I know some skeptics may have a big laugh here, but I felt I needed to be honest and give you a follow up report: The faucet set worked fine for 7-8 days. I felt like my namesake “Bob Wiley” in “What About Bob?” who “took a vacation from his problems” in that hilarious film. Regarding that awful dripping and pouring faucet, for 7-8 days, I took A VACATION FROM MY PROBLEM! Then, the problem came back. For a day or two, it was just a drip...not really too bad, but for at least 24 hours it has been a steady solid trickle and sometimes a stronger stream, and I can’t turn it off. Yesterday I called Paul Flaherty Plumbing and Heating in Framingham. The church has an account with them. Honestly, they’re a GREAT outfit that I’d recommend to anyone. The guy from Flaherty Plumbing is coming out on Thursday morning. They actually wanted to come sooner, but that was the soonest I was comfortable fitting them into my schedule.

Situations like the “plumbing miracle story” are admittedly perplexing to me. It WAS wonderful to take that 7-8 day “vacation from the problem”. It did “buy us a little time”. WAS it a miracle or just a plumbing fluke? For sure, I don’t know. But even though telling the second part of the story makes me feel a little “sheepish” I felt I had to “tell it all”.

No comments: