Sunday, March 28, 2010

PRAISE IN THE HOUSE AT G.F.C.C.

“And a very great multitude spread their garments in the way; others cut down branches from the trees, and strewed them in the way.
And the multitudes that went before, and that followed, cried, saying,
Hosanna to the Son of David:
Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord; Hosanna in the highest.
And when he was come into Jerusalem, all the city was moved, saying,
And the multitude said, This is Jesus the prophet of Nazareth of Galilee.” (Matthew 21:8-11)

As difficult as it is to NOT be pastoring anymore (especially on Holy Week) one blessing of not pastoring is the opportunity of visiting other churches. On the 14th and the 21st, Mary Ann and I went up to Bread of Life Assembly of God in Westminster. Today, Mary Ann went there again, but she had a meeting to attend (relative to the Treasury facet of the closing of the Framingham church) immediately after the service. I was willing to go up there with her and just hang around after church. Mary Ann, however, gave me the option to NOT go today, and I exercised that option.

Jon and I walked down to Greater Framingham Community Church, the predominantly African-American congregation at Franklin and Park Sts. in downtown Framingham. What a GREAT Palm Sunday service! I loved it! Frankly, I could attend an African-American church every week with NO problem!

The Rev. Dr. J. Anthony Lloyd’s sermon was “There’s a New Sheriff in Town”. It was an outstanding Palm Sunday message. A real test when I visit another church is if I get “fed” by the message, and I DID! In fact, they also had a responsive altar call after the sermon for those who wanted to go up for a few minutes seeking the Lord (as is often done in Pentecostal churches although I believe G.F.C.C. comes from more of a Baptist tradition). I went up, and I’m glad I did.

Jon and I were not the only white people there. I’d say at least 5% of those seated in the congregation were fellow European-Americans. There was a white woman and her little girl visiting who identified themselves as from a growing youth oriented church in the 495 Belt that I’m familiar with. I’m not sure if they live in Framingham or what. I know the church she mentioned as being from is one of those where you can show up dressed very casually and sit there drinking a Starbucks coffee during the service. Conversely, in the Black churches, people tend to wear their Sunday best and much of the format hasn’t changed much in fifty years. No power point during the service, for instance.

The choir was GREAT! A song they did over and over and over (and I LOVED it) was “Praise in the Temple/Praise in the House”. If you want to hear what that song sounds like, there’s a version of it on youtube by Dorothy Norwood. Just cut and paste the link below and check out the song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7TU6CfmTKE

Looking for a great, dynamic, English speaking Bible preaching church in downtown Framingham? You just might want to check out Greater Framingham Community Church. Their service is at 10. AND for Easter Sunday, they’re also having an early service at 7:30 followed by a breakfast.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I always wanted to go there!