Friday, December 24, 2010

JUST WHAT THE MASTER ORDERED...

"And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn." (Luke 2:7)

This year's Christmas season has been very different, and I've mentioned that previously.
For December 24, I REALLY was missing officiating at a Christmas Eve service. Our church WAS small, and some years the Christmas Eve service was no more than fifteen or twenty. Even so, it was very special. We'd have the Christmas Eve service early...around 6:30 or 7 and it would be all over by 8 at the latest. There would be Christmas carols and special music and Bible readings and usually I would share some sort of Christmas devotional from Scripture. There would be an opportunity at the end to wish one another a Merry Christmas, and it was not unusual for the Baril family to be given several gifts from people in the church.

For this year's Christmas Eve, I got through with my shift at the answering service at 6; went home and relaxed a bit, and then we got takeout Chinese food. To my surprise, my daughter Rachel mentioned she was going to a 11 p.m. Christmas Eve service at First United Methodist Church over on the other side of town. I grew up Roman Catholic, but I've never gone to a Midnight mass nor to any sort of Midnight or late night Christmas service. I was tired and could easily have drifted off to sleep around 10, but there was that gnawing feeling that something was missing. I had not been to a Christmas church service, and for me that was unsettling. I think it was the Holy Spirit nudging me because it was like something or someone was internally "bugging" me to go to that service with Rachel. I asked Rachel if she'd mind if I joined her, and she did not mind. After a mug of hot coffee, I changed my clothes, and we left for the service around 10:35.

First United Methodist's building is one of those "ultra modern" A-frame style church facilities from the early 1960s. Today, those facilities seem very dated, and in one sense they're kind of impractical. Despite that, I find that sort of architecture warm and appealing. There are stained glass windows, and that A-frame style just kind of says "UP!!!" and puts you in a worshipful frame of mind. As Rachel and I were waiting for the service to start, I heard a guy in the back row comment that there was something about that church facility that was "warm and fuzzy" and made him feel spiritual. Honestly, I agree, and I was thinking the same thing.

When Rachel and I arrived the number of people was pretty sparse, but I was surprised that by 11:05 there was a good sized crowd. The service was beautiful. It ended with all of us lighting candles and singing "Silent Night". During the service we sang hymns and carols, there was special music, and there were Bible readings. This was also a Communion service. I knew that Lutheran and Episcopal churches "do" Communion in a very similar manner to the Roman Catholic Church...many of the readings are virtually identical, but I did not realize that was also true for the Methodists. So, the first two-thirds of the service seemed very "low church Protestant" but the Communion part seemed very Roman Catholic. In this church you walk up to receive Communion much as you do in the Roman Catholic Church. Pastor Sandy Bonnette-Kim handed you a small chunk of bread torn from a large loaf, and then you dipped it in a cup of grape juice held by a church lay leader. I do know that form of receiving the Communion elements is called "intinction". Rachel later commented that the bread tasted kind of lousy. And, it sort of did, BUT of course, it's what the elements STAND for that's important, and tonight, I found that Communion service quite meaningful.

The service ended around 12:15, so we arrived on Christmas Eve and we technically left on Christmas Day. It was a good way to start Christmas Day 2010, and it was what I needed. I was tempted to call this piece, "Just What the Doctor Ordered". That would not be inappropriate as Jesus Christ IS "the Great Physician", but I think I'll say it was "Just What the Master Ordered"!

2 comments:

clotrip said...

Regarding the bread, I understand it was challah, a Jewish egg bread traditional for the Shabbat meal and somewhat sweet.

Bob Baril said...

Yeah, I HAVE had challah before. It's just a funny mushy taste when dunked in grape juice, but it's what it stands for that's imporant!